Bored at work? Post here.

Neovalen

Hey Toshaka, my rig is almost identical to yours (i7 instead of i5 and 6970 instead of 6950, but as I understand it they're pretty much identical). 

Appropo of nothing in particular (Hey, it's a bored at work thread ;D) , I'm planning a refresh this June when Haswell comes out.  Figure I'll switch over to nVidia's second-gen Kepler, too.  Then it will be time for all new Skyrim adventures...

CPU wise you dont need to upgrade for Skyrim ;)

Mine isnt even fully used, max I saw was 60% by Skyrim.

My 6950 tho is unlocked to 6970 and runs at the same speeds and same amount of shaders :)

Not sure if I go to NVidia, from some game benchmarks I have seen the 7k serie is mostly still on top of nvidia.

Tho I would like to see it with a fully modded skyrim :)

CPU wise you dont need to upgrade for Skyrim ;)

Mine isnt even fully used, max I saw was 60% by Skyrim.

My 6950 tho is unlocked to 6970 and runs at the same speeds and same amount of shaders :)

Not sure if I go to NVidia, from some game benchmarks I have seen the 7k serie is mostly still on top of nvidia.

Tho I would like to see it with a fully modded skyrim :)

Oh, I know.  I just figure, if I'm replacing the card, I might as well replace the processor and mobo ;D

They are considerably overpriced.  I really wish that AMD could raise their game and give Nvidia a proper scare like they did a few ago.  Nvidia have had it too much their way for a long time, and we don't get their best efforts at the best prices.

They are considerably overpriced.  I really wish that AMD could raise their game and give Nvidia a proper scare like they did a few ago.  Nvidia have had it too much their way for a long time' date=' and we don't get their best efforts at the best prices.[/quote']

I'm not sure what you're getting at, AMD's got better cards on the market at the moment, at competitive prices, and they've included some nice games bundles with their current generation cards as well.

They are considerably overpriced.  I really wish that AMD could raise their game and give Nvidia a proper scare like they did a few ago.  Nvidia have had it too much their way for a long time' date=' and we don't get their best efforts at the best prices.[/quote']

I'm not sure what you're getting at' date=' AMD's got better cards on the market at the moment, at competitive prices, and they've included some nice games bundles with their current generation cards as well.[/quote']

But in terms of hardware development they are playing catchup, and have been for a long time - Nvidia control the pace of the game.  Back in the days of the Geforce 5 FX series, ATI ambushed them with superior technology, and things developed quickly and competitively for a time.  Similarly, around the same time, AMD really surpassed the Pentium 4, and the same occurred.  Since then, both Intel and Nvidia have established dominant positions, and AMD has struggled.  This has led to a slower pace of development, and less competitive pricing from the leaders.  I don't think this is a contentious version of what has happened in the industry. 

I'm not sure what you're getting at' date=' AMD's got better cards on the market at the moment, at competitive prices, and they've included some nice games bundles with their current generation cards as well.[/quote']

But in terms of hardware development they are playing catchup, and have been for a long time - Nvidia control the pace of the game.  Back in the days of the Geforce 5 FX series, ATI ambushed them with superior technology, and things developed quickly and competitively for a time.  Similarly, around the same time, AMD really surpassed the Pentium 4, and the same occurred.  Since then, both Intel and Nvidia have established dominant positions, and AMD has struggled.  This has led to a slower pace of development, and less competitive pricing from the leaders.  I don't think this is a contentious version of what has happened in the industry. 

I still don't understand your point, AMD's cards are faster on average, overclock better and their architecture is more efficient, despite significantly lower budget for marketing and product development. Just because they're not as popular, doesn't mean they're not superior in many ways.