Lots of .dds Textures Failing to Load In TexGen - PC Classic

lilfloozyvert

Question

Hello,

You can find my original post https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/d08kmn/dyndolod_installation_texgen_textures_not_found/

Before posting this, I did not realize there was an entire support forum. Now that I'm here, I've read the DynDOLOD 2.xx - Full Update Post pinned post and it seems to imply that there are many textures that need to be updated? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically where I'm at right now is I keep getting a certain texture in TextGen, and I google the .dds file and download a mod from Nexus to create the texture file. 

However, I'm stuck on shipwoodside03.dds. I downloaded the Joy of Ships mod, but this does not include shipwoodside03.dds textures. I see:

• shipwood01.dds
  • shipwood03.dds
  • shipwoodside01.dds
  • shipwoodside01_n.dds

I found https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69682?tab=images has a shipwoodside03.dds texture, but I'm not particularly fond of how it looks, so I figured I'd come here for suggestions.

Please let me know if I'm unclear at all or could provide some more information! I'm relatively new at this.

Thank you!

5 answers to this question

Do what the message says:

Check the top of the log that all required *.BSA files are loaded.

Check that C:\Users\profile\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini (MO users check ..\ModOrganizer\profiles\[profile name]\Skyrim.ini) is the default version and contains the correct entries for [Archive] 

sResourceArchiveList and sResourceArchiveList2.

See DynDOLOD-README.txt for more:

When using MOD Organizer DynDOLOD.exe and LODGen.exe only use BSA files loaded by the internal xEdit.exe file loader. Pay attention when using MO BSA/archive management and DynDOLOD.exe listing which BSA are loaded when starting up. Mesh or texture files in BSA files that are not loaded will not be discovered by DynDOLOD.exe/TexGen.exe or LODGen.exe.

By default the Skyrim.ini defines the vanilla BSA to be always loaded automatically. In case vanilla BSA files are not loaded, make sure the used Skyrim.ini contains

Skyrim 

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

Skyrim Special Edition / Skyrim VR

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes0.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes1.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices_en0.bsa, Skyrim - Textures0.bsa, Skyrim - Textures1.bsa, Skyrim - Textures2.bsa, Skyrim - Textures3.bsa, Skyrim - Textures4.bsa, Skyrim - Textures5.bsa, Skyrim - Textures6.bsa, Skyrim - Textures7.bsa, Skyrim - Textures8.bsa, Skyrim - Patch.bsa

Enderal

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=EEN - MeshesLOD.bsa, EEN - Meshes.bsa, EEN - Music.bsa, EEN - Scripts.bsa, EEN - SoundFX.bsa, EEN - SoundVoice.bsa, EEN - SoundExtra.bsa, EEN - TexturesLOD.bsa, EEN - Textures1.bsa, EEN - Textures2.bsa, EEN - Textures3.bsa

WARNING: It is possible the ArchiveLists are different for non English versions of the game, especially in case of Enderal. Do not replace these lines in case they are already existing and appear to work correctl

Hi sheson,

Thank you for the quick reply and quickly getting back to peasants like me that don't exactly understand what's going on 100% under the hood.

I double checked my newest log and with the help of another Reddit user found that Skyrim - Textures.bsa isn't loading in there. Do you have any suggestions as to how to fix this? Not sure where the default .bsa would be located. For reference, this is what my full Skyrim.ini looks like ([Archive] section on the bottom):

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH
fFlickeringLightDistance=8192

[Display]
fDecalLifetime=256.000
fDefaultWorldFOV=76
fDefault1stPersonFOV=76
fSunShadowUpdateTime=0.000
fSunUpdateThreshold=0.200
sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070"

[Combat]
f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=1.5
f1PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PBoltTiltUpAngle=1.5

[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=7

[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=0
bReflectLODTrees=1

[Weather]
fSunBaseSize=150
fSunGlareSize=150

[Archive] 
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa

Is that the complete Skyrim.ini you found in MOs profile folder for your profile? While it seems to have the required archive lines, it otherwise seems incomplete and missing stuff.

Compare to the Skyrim.ini found the Users\[user]\Document\My Games\Skyrim\

If that is incomplete or modified as well, back it up as a different filename. Then start the games launcher once so it creates a default Skyrim.ini.

Copy that over into the folder for your MO profile. (back up that Skyrim.ini as well). Then start xEdit/xLODGen/TexGen/DynDOLOD from MO and check the BSAs listed in the archive lines are mentioned their start up logs.

Edited by sheson

Ok, sorry for the delayed response when you've been so responsive and helpful. I've followed your advice and tried making a full new Skyrim.ini file by making a SkyrimOld.ini and relaunching the game. After doing so, I did notice my .ini file was incomplete, but am still having the same error. Below is my new combined Skyrim.ini:

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH
fFlickeringLightDistance=8192
uExterior Cell Buffer=36

[Display]
fShadowLODMaxStartFade=1000.0
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=2000.0
fLightLODMaxStartFade=3500.0
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
bAllowScreenshot=1
fDecalLifetime=256.000
fDefaultWorldFOV=76
fDefault1stPersonFOV=76
fSunShadowUpdateTime=0.000
fSunUpdateThreshold=0.200
sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070"

[Combat]
f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=1.5
f1PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PBoltTiltUpAngle=1.5

[Audio]
fMusicDuckingSeconds=6.0
fMusicUnDuckingSeconds=8.0
fMenuModeFadeOutTime=3.0
fMenuModeFadeInTime=1.0

[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=7
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0

[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=0
bReflectLODTrees=1

[Weather]
fSunBaseSize=150
fSunGlareSize=150

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa

[Combat]
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0

Something interesting in the error I'm getting (go ahead and ignore my profile's name lol): 

https://imgur.com/VFe7MI0

And then looking in my Skyrim game folder: 

https://imgur.com/13FXxQO

I don't know if this could be impacting this though. I doubt the textures rely on the game's .exe to be present?

Edited by lilfloozyvert

The many game modes of xEdit (xLODGen/DynDOLOD) have no connection to the executable names of the games.

It is rather straight forward.

When xEdit is started it reads the games INI at its default location and prints a line the log:

Using ini: C:\Users\Ballsack\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini

It then loads the BSA defined in the archive section and then all BSA determined by the plugin names.

When executables are started from MO, MO replace the games INI with the versions from its profile folders.