Help me to understand the cause of stutter

Ggfd3FzZuyabrmSsmjun

Question

Hey so I've been installing the step mods and have come to realize that my game is stuttering about halfway through the mod list.  My fps is still decent around 50~ and my vram usage is around 700/1024 according to MSI afterburner.  

What exactly causes the stutter and how can I alleviate it?

Edit: a little more detail.

Stuttering is happening when panning camera in any direction but most noticable up/down. It appears to be horizontal lines across my screen as the camera spins. I've tried with/without v-sync and it still happens.

What is the next step for me to help you troubleshoot?

You need to defragment your HDD any time after installing a batch of mods (if you use a HDD). I have seen major stuttering as a result of inefficient disk behavior.

I use a pair of HD-6850s too, but I don't see that you have mentioned what your max on-card VRAM is (that card comes in either 1 or 2 GB). My max is 1 GB VRAM, and I begin to see stuttering after installing Section G of the guide. (DDSopt and constraint of large normal maps fixes).

Run a performance benchmark using the guide's instructions and provide your results back here if you want. My numbers are here.

I will try a defragment and get back to you. I have the 1GB 6850. I haven't tried DDSopt yet. How does DDSopt work? Is it run after all mods are installed and it edits them down?

Edit: Defrag complete. Still stuttering same as before.

Just to be clear the stutter doesn't happen when say walking or running around. It ONLY happens when panning my camera (most noticable when panning diagonally)

I just said: try it.

I use them, definitely feel positive effects, and definitely does not any harm to try. They are 100% stable on my side.

I know is not proven. It's clear STEP don't recommended it anywhere.

But if that's the case please guide me on the "why it's not recommended" cause I want to know, since it does no harm. Please concrete information.

Don't create terror about it without reason.

I really don't think we're terrorizing anyone - my terror mode looks quite different!:devil:

There's no problem at all with trying things out, that's how we move forward, but a newcomer might assume these are recommended tweaks, and when you say "It's clear STEP don't recommended it anywhere" he'd have to read every word of the site to prove that negative.  We're just making it clear that it's not, and asking for evidence in case it's something we should consider.  Nothing to worry about.

I just said: try it.

I use them, definitely feel positive effects, and definitely does not any harm to try. They are 100% stable on my side.

I know is not proven. It's clear STEP don't recommended it anywhere.

But if that's the case please guide me on the "why it's not recommended" cause I want to know, since it does no harm. Please concrete information.

Don't create terror about it without reason.

I really don't think we're terrorizing anyone - my terror mode looks quite different!:devil:

There's no problem at all with trying things out, that's how we move forward, but a newcomer might assume these are recommended tweaks, and when you say "It's clear STEP don't recommended it anywhere" he'd have to read every word of the site to prove that negative.  We're just making it clear that it's not, and asking for evidence in case it's something we should consider.  Nothing to worry about.

Agree, and these tweaks have been advertized for many moons now. They have likewise been discredited as beneficial for nearly as many, and thus the default settings are probably best in such cases.

9 times out of ten, the reason for stuttering is simply video memory issues.  I realize that it appears like you are fine and staying under by inspection of various utilities, but for instance walking into a heavy load area (like walking into riverrun) will nearly always cause a problem if you haven't prepared for it in advance.

The best tool for this is DDSOpt, as it can easily shave off a few hundred megs in some of the bad areas.  Obviously if you are way over, nothing will help other than reducing texture sizes and/or reducing Ugrids.

Again, 9 times out of 10.  

If I had to guess, I'd say those tweaks got started because they sound like they should be helpful, without them being widely tested. But, I can't say why someone else might include them. I would guess that app is designed to let people easily experiment with all possible settings.   That's great, but the point of STEP is that it tests things very thoroughly and only recommends what we can support with reproducible evidence.  There are lots of tweaks on other forums that we've found inneffective or unstable.  Every idea here gets questioned and criticised to make sure it passes the test, but it's not personal - friends will attack and defend ideas to make sure they stand up. 

EDIT:

@Ggfd3FzZuyabrmSsmjun

AFAIK, bfullscreen=0 just makes Skyrim start in windowed mode. Are you using the borderless window mod?

If I had to guess, I'd say those tweaks got started because they sound like they should be helpful, without them being widely tested. But, I can't say why someone else might include them. I would guess that app is designed to let people easily experiment with all possible settings.   That's great, but the point of STEP is that it tests things very thoroughly and only recommends what we can support with reproducible evidence.  There are lots of tweaks on other forums that we've found inneffective or unstable.  Every idea here gets questioned and criticised to make sure it passes the test, but it's not personal - friends will attack and defend ideas to make sure they stand up. 

EDIT:

@Ggfd3FzZuyabrmSsmjun

AFAIK, bfullscreen=0 just makes Skyrim start in windowed mode. Are you using the borderless window mod?

Yup that's exactly what it does. I tried the borderless window mod and it did not help in the slightest. Even when I run it now with bfullscreen=0 set it still appears to open fullscreen anyway when starting it with SBW.exe