Fatal registry errors despite a gauntlet of solution attempts

MadCat221

Question

A month or so ago, I moved my Skyrim folder from my system drive (which was the newest and fastest) to a new non-system drive of an identical model.

Today, I installed the latest version of SMIM. The DynDOLOD generated module was mastered to some of the old modules so naturally, it wouldn't load. When I went to fire up DynDOLOD and regenerate, I get the following error:

Fatal:Could not determine Skyrim installation path, no "Installed Path" registry key

This can happen after Steam updates, run game's launcher to restore registry settings

So I did that.  Still get that error. I update DynDOLOD since it was a bit out of date. Still the error.

So I move my game folder, appdata, and savegame/ini folders aside for new ones to be generated, uninstall and reinstall Skyrim twice, Run CCleaner multiple times while the game is uninstalled the second time, throw in a system restart for good measure, start the game up to the title screen in-game, create a whole new folder to put DynDOLOD's generator files in... and I still get that error message.

...Halp?

Edited by MadCat221

2 answers to this question

There is no code difference in reading the registry for either version. Unless the compiler does things differently. I could imagine permissions, UAC or anti virus treating the two executables differently.

The x86 will be slightly faster due to more optimizations existing for that architecture, the x64 will be able to use more memory in case it is needed.