Distant Object Trees appear larger and different than they do up close

Sacremas

Question

Hey, using DynDOLOD 2.30, not going to bother updating during this playthrough unless I run into issues or this problem here can be resolved.

DynDOLOD is working great, and looks fantastic on distant objects, but I'm having an issue with objects - trees in particular - looking a lot bigger and more of them in the distance, then rapidly shrinking (snapping into regular place in classic LOD vs actual object style) as I get close to them. As mentioned this mainly happens with trees, in the distance they will look massive and more of them, as I get up close suddenly they are swapped out for about half as big trees with usually a few of them being gone now (I may be wrong here and it's just the much bigger trees getting swapped out that's doing it). On distant terrain the trees also look a lot brighter green than they do upfront, which should of course be the opposite (I live in Northern Norway in a relatively rual area, a lot of similar terrain to that of Skyrim here largely, and a mass of clustered pine trees can look so dark at large distances that they look almost black, where they look much greener up close). 

I followed the Gamerpoets video in creating my LOD, most options are active, no special rules. This is happening for now on main Skyrim continent; I have both Falskaar and Wyrmstooth installed as well as Dragonborn but have not been to those places yet. I am using Noble Skyrim, Vanilla Skyrim LOD Billboards of course, Trees HD Skyrim Variation, and Enhanced Vanilla Trees in that overwrite order overwritten by my DYNDOLOD textgen and outputs, no other issues with DynDOLOD or the modlist at large rather than this popping effect. Using Mod Organizer, other than Skyrim's regular files and that of larger mods like Falskaar there are no BSAs being used containing textures, both Noble Skyrim and other graphical mods use loose files.

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere else, if so just link me there. I did a search but the only similar issue I could see was someone having issues with a BSA-based load order.

3 answers to this question

FAQ: Tree LOD too bright/dark

A: To make tree LOD brighter/darker, click the advanced button in the wizard for more options, including setting tree LOD brightness. To just update tree LOD select desired worlds top left, uncheck 'Generate static LOD', uncheck 'Create texture atlas', uncheck 'Generate DynDOLOD', then click OK.

FAQ: Tree LOD: LOD trees do not match close-up full model trees

A: Doublecheck billboards and billboard load order. Open console, click on full model tree to get form id like 0006A9E6. Lookup this FormID top left in xEdit, bringing up the tree reference in the right pane. Find the form id of the 'NAME - Base', like TreeAspen01 [TREE:0006A9E6]. Search in Textures\Terrain\LODGen\ subfolders for files with that number, like TreeAspen01_0006A9E6.dds and TreeAspen01_0006A9E6.txt. Replace files with correct versions.

In addition, the log will print a line for each billboard file it uses, making it easy to verify full model and the billboard used for its LOD.

TreeAspen01 [TREE:0006A9E6] using LOD Textures\Terrain\LODGen\Skyrim.esm\TreeAspen01_0006A9E6.dds

In your case, I have a feeling that the changed trees from Trees HD Skyrim Variation don't even matter anymore with Enhanced Vanilla Tree installed after it. If you find it does, then you need to install/create billboards for it.

Make sure you installed the billboards for Enhanced Vanilla Tree with the exact same options as you installed the main download.

Edited by sheson

Thank you, I guess I didn't read the funtastic manual properly. Firstborn on it's way via mail.

I will try to just disable the other non-vanilla tree items for now and see if I can get away with not recreating DynDOLOD. I'll see fast if it works or not, if not then update to latest version and regen after "safe save". 

Edited by Sacremas