Problem with LODGen.exe in dyndolod for SSE

druninja

Question

I'm getting a problem that I didnt have in oldrim. A good 5 or 6 of the lodgen instances will crash near the start of running them and then dyndolod just goes onto the next. sometimes all the world instances lodgen crashes. I cant seem to fix it. I'm using MO2 and I have the dyndolod texgen and the main dyndolod output paths outside of skyrims directory and dyndolod itself is installed outside of skyrim se's directory. I think the fact that these instances of lodgen.exe is giving me another problem. I followed the steps for 3D trees like how I used to have in oldrim with enhhanced vanilla trees. And thhe instructions look the same but when trying to play with the dyndolod thats generated with these lodgen.exe messups when I get ingame all the trees dont show, only trees that are within my cell pop up as full trees and every tree that should be in the distance is just invisible until I get in their cell. Are these two problems I'm having related?

12 answers to this question

went to the logs to post them to see if that helps but the log is completely blank on pretty much all of them except for 1 which seems to have generated correctly. So I'm not sure what's up. It shouldnt be a permissions issue since I'm an admin and ontop of that I set all my drives to give my specific username full control of all files. I am using MO2 which might be the problem? but I followed the instructions that we had to do if using MO by setting the paths outside of of skyrim and mo's virtual folder. Texgen part seems to run smoothly and works fine, just for some reason the lodgenex keeps wanting to crash on all the stages while dyndolod is running.

Alright after running it again, I got this message after the "save and exit" part. 

" Exception EAssertionFailed in module DynDOLODx64.exe at 0000000000822858 Assertion failure (c:\Delphi\projects\DynDOLOD\wbImplementation.pas, line 3866). "

I'm getting a problem that I didnt have in oldrim. A good 5 or 6 of the lodgen instances will crash near the start of running them and then dyndolod just goes onto the next. sometimes all the world instances lodgen crashes. I cant seem to fix it. I'm using MO2 and I have the dyndolod texgen and the main dyndolod output paths outside of skyrims directory and dyndolod itself is installed outside of skyrim se's directory. I think the fact that these instances of lodgen.exe is giving me another problem. I followed the steps for 3D trees like how I used to have in oldrim with enhhanced vanilla trees. And thhe instructions look the same but when trying to play with the dyndolod thats generated with these lodgen.exe messups when I get ingame all the trees dont show, only trees that are within my cell pop up as full trees and every tree that should be in the distance is just invisible until I get in their cell. Are these two problems I'm having related?

When a LODGen process for a worldspace does not complete successfully, static LOD for that worldspace is incomplete. It will then use vanilla static LOD which has no LOD for trees obviously while 2D tree LOD is still disabled with the *.lst files for each worldspace generated to the output folder. Incomplete LOD generation should not be used in the game.

went to the logs to post them to see if that helps but the log is completely blank on pretty much all of them except for 1 which seems to have generated correctly. So I'm not sure what's up. It shouldnt be a permissions issue since I'm an admin and ontop of that I set all my drives to give my specific username full control of all files. I am using MO2 which might be the problem? but I followed the instructions that we had to do if using MO by setting the paths outside of of skyrim and mo's virtual folder. Texgen part seems to run smoothly and works fine, just for some reason the lodgenex keeps wanting to crash on all the stages while dyndolod is running.

Get a screenshot from a crashed LODGen, so we can look at the message. Post the log from the LODGen that has contents.

Alright after running it again, I got this message after the "save and exit" part. 

" Exception EAssertionFailed in module DynDOLODx64.exe at 0000000000822858 Assertion failure (c:\Delphi\projects\DynDOLOD\wbImplementation.pas, line 3866). "

This is probably related to whatever problem LODGen has. Post the entire DynDOLOD log.

Edited by sheson

I dont have the info from before since I tried reinstalling seeing if it would make a difference (it didnt) and didnt think to save the logs but I ran it again and here are the results. 

1 screenshot of the lodgenexe crash and all the logs, most of the logs are empty but some have partial completion and one or two look fully complete druninja-dyndolod problem.7z

That screenshot is not showing a LODGen command prompt window - the white text on black background. You need to bring that window into the foreground by clicking on its taskbar icon, so we can see its text and hopefully some kind of error message.

It is most likely because of "full model" trees being used for static tree LOD and one or more of those full models from mods can not be read properly. You may want to use the billboard fallback option to verify if it works then.

I hope we can see LODGen telling us a nif file name. Otherwise I will just try the same tree mod +  full model for static LOD here and see if I can update LODGen to work with those nifs

Edited by sheson

if you want to test I have the oldrim vanilla billboards from the lodgen and I'm also using enhanced vanilla trees with large lush option vurts snowy option vurts 4k foliage (number 1) with the matching billboards off the oldrim page overriding the vanilla billboards. Someone on the page said they got the 3d to work in sse so I just assumed it would work. but maybe it doesnt. I ran it with the "billboard fallback" instead of "fullmodel" fallback and it completed without any crashes.

Edited by druninja

I redownloaded enhanced vanilla trees, then reinstalled the exact same options with the exact same billboards and it ran with the the "full model" toggle without crashing this time. so maybe my first download got ****ed up somehow? sorry for wasting your time. I should have done that a lot sooner. Actually since I havent gotten this far. I use Open Cities Skyrim so I was following the first part of the instructions from oldrim instructions for open cities skyrim. now I'm at the part where I activate open cities skyrim to regenerate the dyndolod.esp part of it but that part is greyed out, does that part require the skse64 part of dyndolod to use? and if so for open cities skyrim do I just run it without open cities skyrim for now until skse64 or should I try running it with the open cities skyrim esp active?

Edited by druninja

This is a bit odd. The screenshot doesn't show any error. This would have suggested CPU/Memory/Overclocking/Cooling problems. Any problem with a file should produce a nice error message and only if really something goes really wrong a crash with a exception error message.

Since there is no dynamic LOD at the moment all you have to do is generate static (and tree LOD if you do not use ultra trees) without Open Cities in the load order. There is currently no second step.

I overclock my cpu pretty hard but I havent noticed any heat issues since I've set this overclock a year ago. I use liquid cooling. I overclock my 3930k to 4.5k and it operates 24/7 stable.  But maybe it is that, your program does like to push all 12 cores to 100% while it runs the the lodgen parts. But when I was checking for stability I let it sit at 100% cpu usage for hours to test it from crashing. It's been about a year since I set it so perhaps my overclock isnt as stable as I thought it was. And looking at the memory when it was happening my memory never went over 50% useage. But I've been able to do the LOD twice since redownloading the enhanced vanilla tree files and reinstalling them just to make sure it wasnt a fluke that it worked the first time. I'll monitor the heat next time incase I have another issue just to be sure.

Edited by druninja

When I say memory in this context I am mean memory timings/voltage settings. If you use prime or whatever to test stability it should be fine. Lets see what we find out with the other user in the other thread that seems to have the same problem. It may equally well be some nif LODGen trips over. It is just that it really should not silently stop without any message at all which has be wondering.

Edited by sheson