MO BSA extraction Stops responding briefly and on occasion.

Silverpanther34

Question

Can someone clear up for me why during BSA extraction MO stops responding then continues?   

My worry is that it encountered a problem in the BSA and is trying to figure out how to proceed.   And subsequently transfers the problem to the loose files.  

When doing a lot of BSA extraction I sometimes get the warning.   It has never completely locked up but will stop for 5 seconds at most before continuing the extraction.  I have seen it at 58% and at 99% (2 different mods) in my most recent memory.  I am wondering if I should be worried about the mods content at this point and what to do about it.

PS. I have been looking for an answer to this for over 3 hrs now and have read pages of text,  learned quite a bit but never found an answer to this.. 

4 answers to this question

I have no concrete evidence to back this up, but I have a couple of theories. Either it's extracting a big file that takes a while to decompress and the progress bar is updated after each file is extracted and/or the disk cache is full so it's waiting for Windows to flush the cache so it can continue. I don't think this has anything to do with problems in the BSA archive.

Although @Neo recommends extracting BSAs in his guides, I see no practical reason to do so, in fact many advanced modders such as @Arthmoor argue against it.

Yeah, I would have prefered to not extract them all but I am not quite savvy enough to know if doing so would mess up the install.  I suppose it might become apparent when I was told to remove files and could not because they were in a BSA ...I could then extract only that mod....Hmmm food for thought.

Well, thank you both for the insite. 

It's sometimes a bit complicated if Mod Organizer is being used to handle resource conflicts. For mods like USLEEP that overwrite vanilla resources and are installed early (low priority) there is no need to unpack BSAs. For mods that don't include resources that conflict with those from other mods that might be installed later (higher priority) there is no need to unpack BSAs. I can't think of any of Arthmoor's mods, for example, that aren't in this category; don't extract BSAs for Arthmoor's mods.

If mod A has a BSA and mod B has a BSA and you want to have some (but not all) resources (e.g., textures, meshes) in the mod A BSA overwrite those in the mod B BSA, and at the same time you want some of the resources in the mod B BSA to overwrite the equivalent resources from mod A then these BSAs need to be extracted so Mod Organizer can provide the correct set of resources to the game engine. These kinds of conflicts don't happen very often, so in most cases it isn't necessary to extract the BSA. Moreover, most mods that are likely to have these kinds of conflicts with other mods provide their resources as loose files vs. BSAs.