At what point are CTDs 'too many'

So I completed to the letter a SR: LE build. I added a few mods but nothing that really conflicted with the build.

I was playing happy for many hours when I wanted to change out Enhanced AI Reborn for Combat Evolved. They are both script free and they are both in the same spot in my L.O so I figured 'what the hell'

Since then I've gotten the two CTDs. The CTDs themselves are really far apart and in total I've played for a good chunk of time (10 Hours).

The first one happened around Falkreat outside the town while milling around on horse back and the second upon pressing enter Lakeview manor. The CTDs were within an hour of each other and I played for almost 8 hours previous without any.

The only other thing I changed was turning the Enblocals.ini for borderless/full screen to true so I could ALT-Tab without the game breaking on me. Also I started using msi afterburners Frame limiter so it wouldn't go over 60 FPS (good computer!) Could that be causing any issues?

Well that's it, I'm just asking because maybe it's well withing the limits of Skyrim Modding...I dunno, what do ya all think?

Edited by uncleseano

I wouldn't use MSI Afterburner. I've heard of crashes when using it before with Skyrim. Just use VSync. Or limit FPS at the driver level (ENB FPS Limiter is broken from what I have heard).

Oh really? I wasn't even going to mention it...I'll drop it for now and give it another few hours and see does anything else happen. Where did you hear about this at any rate?

By 'just use VSync, do you mean in the Enblocal? Also what's the eh....driver level?  :P

Edited by uncleseano

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/4nwxa8/help_skyrim_crash_when_using_bed_in_alternate/

Just yesterday in fact. Do a Google search and I am sure you will find more. I have heard about crashes with it (and other third party software like Precision X, etc.) in the past, but I am too lazy to look up more links. I have never used it, so I cannot say for certain. But a lot of these third party utilities can cause crashes. Meanwhile they might work fine for someone else. It's always a good idea to check about it though.

VSync in enblocal.ini, yeah. And you have to have the proper Skyrim.ini setting for it as well, iPresentInterval=1.

Driver level is at the videocard level (i.e. not in the game, or through a third-party utility, but through the videocard). Use something like Nvidia inspector to check out the settings. Good info here: https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9.2#1.E._Display_.26_Video_Card_Settings

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/4nwxa8/help_skyrim_crash_when_using_bed_in_alternate/

Just yesterday in fact. Do a Google search and I am sure you will find more. I have heard about crashes with it (and other third party software like Precision X, etc.) in the past, but I am too lazy to look up more links. I have never used it, so I cannot say for certain. But a lot of these third party utilities can cause crashes. Meanwhile they might work fine for someone else. It's always a good idea to check about it though.

VSync in enblocal.ini, yeah. And you have to have the proper Skyrim.ini setting for it as well, iPresentInterval=1.

Driver level is at the videocard level (i.e. not in the game, or through a third-party utility, but through the videocard). Use something like Nvidia inspector to check out the settings. Good info here: https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9.2#1.E._Display_.26_Video_Card_Settings

Ok that's great, I'll leave running without anything for now and see if there's any issue. And if I get more grief I'll use V-Sync.

While I have ya, what do you use to monitor your FPS to make sure it's not going too mad?

I...don't really use anything, to be honest. I'll check with Skyrim Performance Monitor every once in a while (read: after I setup a new modlist) to make sure my FPS is OK.

But I have never not used V-Sync, so I have never really had a reason to monitor FPS all the time.

Edit: And yeah, without V-Sync or frame limiting you ARE going to have physics issues when FPS >60.

I...don't really use anything, to be honest. I'll check with Skyrim Performance Monitor every once in a while (read: after I setup a new modlist) to make sure my FPS is OK.

But I have never not used V-Sync, so I have never really had a reason to monitor FPS all the time.

Edit: And yeah, without V-Sync or frame limiting you ARE going to have physics issues when FPS >60.

@Nebulous

Touch wood n all that because I hope I'm not speaking too early but after an hour or two this morning there were no issues at all. Not a CTD, not a lost FPS, NOWT. I dropped the borderless full screen and used ENBs V-Sync to limit the frames. I tested for a few minutes with Perf Monitor before reloading without but the FPS are at a solid 50.

I'm happy with those results.

@Whestone

Yeah it's normall 'Par for the Corpse' of Skyrim modding but my heart is broken with so many restarts, I just wannt see the DLC! Hah... I was making sure the CTDs werent a problem with something else and it seems (again touch wood) they were.

Thanks again Lads!

Edited by uncleseano