I accidentally installed everything without extracting BSAs

ImAnIdiot

Question

I'm an idiot.

I've followed the guide to the letter, except for one thing:

When you start adding the first mods, you are asked if you want to extract BSAs. You are supposed to click "Yes", and then "remember selection" so it extracts BSAs every time.

I clicked "No" instead, and had it remember that selection.

Now I've spent hours adding every mod up to Bathing In Skyrim, which is almost at the end.

I think twice the guide said to delete files after installation, and those files were in BSAs. In those cases I went into the "Archive" tab and right clicked to manually extract the BSA to a random folder, then deleted the necessary files and then replaced the BSA with the loose files.

So what do I do now? Can I just go through and manually extract every BSA, and then replace all those BSAs with the loose files, or do I have to reinstall every mod?

If the former, which BSAs should I NOT extract?

EDIT: Thanks to everyone for their responses. Here's what I did to fix it: I reset dialogues, then made sure BSAs were extracted (clicked yes and remember selection on the first reinstall). Then, I went through and double clicked every mod, and checked the filetree for BSAs. If it had a BSA, I right clicked it and reinstalled it. I also checked the guide to make sure I installed optionals and I followed any special installation instructions. Hopefully no one makes the same mistake as me. When I finish the guide, I'll update this post to say whether or not everything works well.

Edited by ImAnIdiot

3 answers to this question

Manually extracting will work but i doubt you will save much time and if something goes wrong you will never get over the feeling that you screwed something up. I would just reinstall from scratch its not that much work once you have everything downloaded

The only point to extract bsa when using MO is to have an easy access to files you need to delete/hide or modify. And to have your mods folder take up a few more Gb if you're competing to have the bigger one.

For your extracting purpose, BAE is probably the simpliest to use as you can just double click on any .bsa and see its content, and extract it to its current location instantly, completely or just the files you need.

See How-to here : https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:BAE