Starting a new game (without LAL): waggon physics going crazy

Cyangor

Question

As the title says, the waggon the player is sitting in when starting a new game hops und turns like crazy.

I didn't install LAL because of some lighting issues in the starting cell.

For some reasons all lightsources where deactivated at the beginning while character creation was open.

Even the extra light from Racemenu didn't switch on.

And since I would have chosen the vanilla start within LAL, it seemed better to just leave this mod out.

Vsync is active, fps are below 60.

7 answers to this question

The general rule of thumb is to get through heavily staged and scripted vanilla start before installing game changing mods (textures, meshes, etc are fine), make a save when you exit the cave, and then install all your mods. LAL lighting is a known issue that can be ignored (you will never see that cell again) or make a save in it and reload

The lighting issues cannot be ignored, as the whole screen is black.

The menu is visible and the shape of my character I can barely distinguish from an even darker background.

An example would be a test for monitor brightness. The only "colours" visible are the two lowest blacks on the chart.

Should have made some screenshots befor deleting LAL.

Aren't there mods that require a new game, or should everything work if I jump to after the tutorial?

My thoughts are, the start isn't the only scripted event, what tells me others won't fail as much as this.

Edited by Cyangor

Physics issues with the wagon is typically caused by not having vsync enabled so make sure you have iPresentInterval=1 in the display section in skyrim.ini, EnableVSync=true the Engine section in enblocal.ini, and Enable VSync in your video card settings set to use application settings. VSync isn't enabled if any one of these is not set correctly.

Thanks for the advice, but everything you wrote is what I meant by "Vsync is active, fps are below 60." ^^

Tried a new save again, this time with Adaptive Vsync and Triple Buffer.

Usually these are my standard settings but they got lost during driver updates.

Now the ride was smooth. However just before the captains calls the prisoner, Skyrim crashed.

Suspect some sort of Ram/VRam limit.

enblocal settings are: VideoMemorySizeMb=4096 (made the mistake to use Win8 instead of 7)

On a side note, before I knew about Skyrims "Physics" engine I had up to 100 fps.

The wagon never had any problems, only random things on shelves or tables would explode from time to time.

Some other thing I haven't found a good solution: z-fighting.

Is there a fix to resolve this, other than hoping for a better engine on TesVI?

Install and enable memory blocks log to make sure the skse memory patch is working and that you aren't hitting the DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB limit. The first line should be something like 512 256 where 512 is DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB-256 and 256 is ScrapHeapSizeMB. I don't know why the SKSE team went with DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB-256 because it's confusing as Hades. If the first number in the last line is the same as DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB-256, you hit the limit and need to increase DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB.

IMPORTANT: You must play the game with Memory Blocks Log enabled until you reproduce the crash because the memory allocated to DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB jumps around significantly based on a number of factors.

Memory Patch settings:

[Memory]

EnablePatch=1

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Found a mistake: VideoMemorySizeMb=4064 is the value it should be. After one restart it didn't crash.

Still going to try MemBlocksLog and will edit the results in here.

edit:

first ctd:         308    153

second ctd:     310    152

both occured on the wagon before entering helgen

if it didn't crash before entering the keep, I spawned several hundreds Lydias.

No ctd, but the game froze for several minutes till alt+F4.

logs:      512    256

Edited by Cyangor