Clarification regarding Core vs. Non-Core STEP Mods

VirtuousParagon

Question

Greetings Everyone,

This is my first time posting to the STEP forums.

Little bit of background: Been playing/modding Skyrim pretty much since release. However I have only ever completed the main quest one time and even though I own all 3 DLC's I have never completed any of them. This is due in large part to my failure to create a stable, modded Skyrim.

System Specs are here: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:VirtuousParagon/SystemSpecs

(if I didn't link that right let me know please)

I'm thinking of installing STEP because I would like a stable game and to be able to mod "more with less" as it were.

My multi-part question is: Should I consider mods that are not "Core" mods but still listed in the STEP Anthology just optional?

Also, STEP 2.2.9.2 was released last November but I was curious why the Core mod list contains many older mods? (circa 2012, 2013 without any updates)

What does the Conflicting Graphics category refer to? The mods within that category conflict with other core mods? If so, which ones and how do you know which to pick?

Sorry for the wall of text. I appreciate any help you can give me.

VirtuousParagon

P.S. I'm currently at work but I can post my LOOT plugin list once I get home.

5 answers to this question

Hi VirtuousParagon, welcome to STEP.

I think you will find the STEP Mandate wiki page relevant.

STEP Core is meant to be a solid base that you can add pretty much anything to. STEP Extended is STEP's main pack, meant to round out the experience.

The STEP Patches (included in the STEP Compilation) require certain mods. As the patches resolve a lot of conflicts, I would suggest including all the mods required. The list can be found in the OP here.

Personally, I run the full STEP Extended mod list (and then some in testing).

As to why there are older mods included...the reason is stability. It isn't easy for a mod to be included in STEP, and when it is, it is guaranteed to be stable with the rest of the STEP lineup. Mods are tested to replace older mods when there is a reason, or if the opinion is that the newer mod is better. Case in point: STEP is currently testing XPMSE to replace XP32 Maximum Skeleton. However, if there isn't a logical benefit to replacing an older mod, why do it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

Edit: I forgot to touch on your question regarding the Conflicting Graphics section. STEP only uses part of those mods. They are not necessarily in alphabetical order, and are arranged so that they will be overwritten by whatever STEP does use. As long as you install the mods in order, from the top to the bottom, you will be fine.

For STEP Core, it is expected that the user will install all Core mods, in the order presented. For STEP Extended, it is expected that the user will install all the listed mods, in the order presented.

Thank you for the quick reply Nebulous. So I assume that STEP Extended is any mod that is in the anthology but is not STEP Core? I'm just confused because I see everyone referring to this specific entity known as the STEP Extended Pack, but then there are also user assembled "packs" that are different.

EDIT: Nevermind.. I literally just read the nomenclature section at the top of 2.2.9.2. All good now :^_^:

Also another forum question. If I needed help with my load order where would be the best place to post that?

Thanks

Edited by VirtuousParagon

If by anthology, you mean the forum designation, then...kinda. I think the forum anthology category also includes mods that were dropped. Basically, STEP Extended is every single mod in the STEP Guide. STEP Core is every mod in the guide with a vertical green bar on the left side. See here for the legend.

Yeah, the different packs add on to STEP Core. Some are up-to-date, others not so much. STEP Extended is the "pack" that the STEP team puts out itself, so it is always up-to-date. As it is released by the STEP Team, and is part of the main guide, most people don't really think of it as a pack, so it is kind of an academic distinction. I think most STEP users tend to use STEP Extended, as well, so that's another reason many don't think of it like that.

Here is a list of STEP Packs (besides the normal STEP Extended): https://wiki.step-project.com/Category:Packs

The General Troubleshooting forum is always a good spot if you are not 100% sure where to post a troubleshooting question.

Just adding my tuppence to the subject as a new STEP user;

I followed the STEP guide and installed everything on it, so I'm running STEP Extended.  I also installed a couple of extra bits and pieces, notable Deadly Dragons, Dragon Combat Evolved, Dual and Combat Evolved, plus a levelled enemies mod.  The result is that it's largely stable and thanks to the combat mods I'm getting one shotted by bandits at level 37.  Points in the block skill are now essential! Regarding stability, I've not had a CTD that a simple reload wasn't able to fix and it's rare in any case.

Edited by Stazbumpa