Lower Than Expected FPS with 980

I am a bit surprised by my FPS after following SR:LE, particularly after hearing that Neo averages 40 or more with a similar configuration. For reference, my specs are a factory OC 980, i5-4690, and 8 GB of RAM and I run the game at 1440p. I use an SSD for storage, so there shouldn't be any sort of bottleneck on texture load. I'm getting ~40 FPS or less just standing in Helgen staring at the particle effects. On cell load (at least I think it is on cell load), my FPS dips slightly, but I did expect this. I'm just wondering if I'm having an optimization issue, or if this is the kind of performance I can expect.

EDIT: Sorry this isn't in the support forum, I meant to post it there.

Edited by Snowden42

Eh, OC the processor.

I found that the graphics overhead is quite large even with a 970 in some areas.

I went from a AMD phenom ii @ 3.6 to a 6700k @ 4.0 and found that my fps more than doubled in some areas.

Then I went from a 4.0GHz to a 4.6 GHZ clock rate and found an extra 6 fps

Ok, so things seem quite a lot better and the framerate is much more stable. I fiddled with the reserved memory size, and set it to 256. I also installed the Performance version of Vividian (I might try to fiddle with the standard version at some point and see if I can improve it and get better frame rate off of that preset).

The other thing was that it turns out I had not followed the guide exactly, and had instead installed the .305 binary of ENB. This one has some thread optimization which I guess isn't really ready for use, and it seems like it causes some stuttering and performance loss. I swapped over to .292 and this helped. I also disabled Vsync, and I'm wondering if that's also helping. Disabling Vsync and increasing the reserved memory size seems to net around 8-10 fps for me.

Edited by Snowden42