Once [[Tutorials/Getting_Started|unpacked], the PCBANKS .PAK files reveal an organized tree of folders and files.
Here is a description of these files :
- GLOBAL.MBIN Files - Global game settings
- WEM format : encoded audio files
- Voice Reference Table - A list of all the exosuit voice files with their WEM IDs.
- BANKS_INTERMEDIATE - No known use
- FNT files : text files storing char maps to extract them from the .DDS canvas
- DDS files : Textures storing fonts as images
- JSON files : text files storing devices input mappings
- ACTIONS.JSON Reference file
- MBIN files : store all the strings, texts and dialogs of the game
- MATERIAL.MBIN files : generic game materials.
- SCENE.MBIN Files - similar to a prefab and holds information about in-game objects all the way from models, behaviors to audio, particle effects and more.
- ENTITY.MBIN Files - the MBIN that defines interactions and behaviors of objects.
- TkPhysicsComponentData - Models Physical properties
- DESCRIPTOR.MBIN Files - handle the nested hierarchies of procedural generation in-game
- GEOMETRY.MBIN Files - store the 3D models
- LSYSTEM.MBIN Files - Rules controling NPC buildings procedural generation
- MATERIAL.MBIN Files - define the texture maps and shader flags to be used
- ANIM.MBIN files - Animation files
- XML files : text files controlling music samples
- BIN files : text files controlling shaders branching
- PLAYTOGETHER - unknown
- PROMO - old game promotional files
- SCENES - Trailer and demonstration static files
- BIN files : shaders initialization text files
- SPV files : Vulkan fragmented shader files
- TPFSDICT - Encrypted profanity words you can't use in NMS
- MBIN files : describes all the components and parts of the game GUI
- TTF files : Standard TrueType Fonts used in game menus and interfaces
These files are storing main game configuration settings and are located directly in the No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS folder.
Note that these are basicaly .txt files so they can be read and edited with any .txt file.
Here is the list of the available files :
- GCUSERSETTINGSDATA.MXML : These are main game settings and unlocked products and items as seen in the catalogue
- TKGAMESETTINGS.MXML : Your custom key mapping if you have set some
- TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML : Game Graphical settings plus a few extra more.
- .cube files : HDR LUT calibration files (These are simple .txt files too)
No Man's Sky stores save files in a recluded folder.
Here is an example showing where you can find it if your operating system is on your C: drive :
Just 2 notes about this path :
- YouUserName is your user name on your computer
- the final folder is procedural (like everything in NMS) so yours will be different
Save files are in .hg format which is obvioulsy an Hello Games proprietary format.
Hopefuly, some save game editors can help to read and edit these files.