Once unpacked, the PCBANKS .PAK files reveal an organized tree of folders and files. Below we provide a replica of this structure with descriptions for the folders. Descriptions for files are available on there individual pages:
- WEM format : encoded audio files
- Voice Reference Table - A list of all the exosuit voice files with their WEM IDs.
- No known use
- FNT files : text files storing char maps to extract them from the .DDS canvas
- DDS files : Textures storing fonts as images
- JSON files : text files storing devices input mappings
- ACTIONS.JSON Reference file
- LANGUAGE Files : store all the strings, texts and dialogs of the game
- Generic game materials
- Game database
- SCENE Files - similar to a prefab and holds information about in-game objects all the way from models, behaviors to audio, particle effects and more.
- ENTITY Files - the MBIN that defines interactions and behaviors of objects.
- TkPhysicsComponentData - Models Physical properties
- DESCRIPTOR Files - handle the nested hierarchies of procedural generation in-game
- GEOMETRY Files - store the 3D models
- LSYSTEM Files - Rules controling NPC buildings procedural generation
- MATERIAL Files - define the texture maps and shader flags to be used
- ANIM Files - Animation files
- XML files : text files controlling music samples
- BIN files : text files controlling shaders branching
- old game promotional files
- Trailer and demonstration static files
- BIN files : shaders initialization text files
- SPV files : Vulkan fragmented shader files
- CACHE.SQS : Texture caching file for quick texture adressing. Stores header and footer of most used textures
- Encrypted profanity words you can't use in NMS
- MBIN files : describes all the components and parts of the game GUI
- TTF files : Standard TrueType Fonts used in game menus and interfaces
These files are storing main game configuration settings and are located directly in the No Man's Sky/Binaries/SETTINGS folder.
Note that these are basicaly .txt files so they can be edited with any text editor.
Here is the list of the available files :
- GCUSERSETTINGSDATA.MXML : These are main game settings and unlocked products and items as seen in the catalog
- TKGAMESETTINGS.MXML : Your custom key mapping if you have set some
- TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML : Game Graphical settings plus a few extra more.
- Template:Alert small
- .cube files : HDR LUT calibration files (These are simple .txt files too)
No Man's Sky save files are stored in recluded folders.
- Individual save files
- Here is an example showing where you can find it if your operating system is on your C: drive :
- Just 2 notes about this path : YouUserName is your user name on your computer and the final folder is unique so yours will be different
- Save files are in .hg format which is obvioulsy an Hello Games proprietary format but some save editors can read and edit these files.
- Shared catalog discoveries
- Be also aware that NMS stores all the item discovered in your catalog during any game save in a separated file.
- This file is located in :
- Steam\steamapps\common\No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS\GCUSERSETTINGSDATA.MXML
- So if you want to fully save your progression, it's important to also save this file.