MO Profiles Errors

TehKaoZ

Question

Still relatively new to MO but I think I got most of it down. While setting up multiple profiles however, I seem to no longer be able to rename profiles. It will rename in the window but nothing changes when I hit close. A few times I tried deleting profiles as well and it throw out an error saying it could not access the modlist.txt (which I manually checked and is present in the folder). I did eventually delete it but the whole profile system is acting a bit wonky

sorry if this is a common issue. There is so much info in MO but I couldn't find my issue anywhere

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

How exactly are you going about these tasks? Are you using the inbuilt Profile Manager or are you trying to do this via Window's explorer?

If you are trying to do this via explorer then you will see problems. If the currently active, and open profile, is renamed outside of MO then the program won't be able to find the paths to the settings, such as modlist.txt, to save any changes.

Do all your maintenance of profiles with the manager, it looks like an ID card in the toolbar.

Hello GrantSP, I am doing it through MO, I go to the <Manage...> tab. Once The error was thrown out about the .txt then I used explorer to check to see if that file it was talking about was there, and it was.

Edit: I did however manage to get it to delete even after that error. So far the only issue I am having now is I'm unable to rename profiles. I suppose I can just copy them and delete the old ones to get a different name. I was just curious if something was messed up in my settings or something

Edited by TehKaoZ

Hmm... shouldn't happen like that.

Let's say you have these profiles; default, new one, another one. The active profile in the left-hand pane is: new one and you use the manager to rename it to: not a new one. You should see behind the dialogue the selected profile change to say default and after closing the dialogue you can use the drop-down menu to select another profile and see not a new one listed.

Of course this might also be affected if you have an explorer window open to the profile folder that is being renamed. Windows will be holding those changes in check and errors might result from that. Basically two or more programmes can't be competing for control of the same folder and its contents. One will allow the name change and the other will fight against it.

Ensure you don't explorer windows open to the profile folder you are changing.

Oh I see what is happening. I cannot change a profiles name as long as it is the active profile in MO.

So if I wanted to change profile "Basic" I would need to switch to a different profile, then hit manage, and then change the name, and go back to that newly changed name profile

Guess I just panicked when it through out an error before :X

Edited by TehKaoZ