MO 1.3.11 makes New Vegas crash on startup

red46

Question

Hey,
over the past few days I decided to replay new vegas and so I reinstalled it along with some mods, I then stumbled across the step guide for it and became aware of MO, downloaded it and it ran without problems, however due to half of my mods being installed manually plus, my game being installed in Program Files (x86) which was causing issues with UAC, I decided to start fresh.

I uninstalled the game and wiped any leftover with CCleaner and then reinstalled it in the root of my C: hard drive. Then, I downloaded the MO 1.3.11 manual installation file and placed the "ModOrganizer" directory in the root of the New Vegas installation, I also downloaded the 4gb patcher and placed that in the new vegas root directory as well. Then, following the instruction on the STEP guide I proceeded to set up the various external executables to launch through MO (FNVEdit,NVSE,FNVLOD,wrye flash, etc) once that was said and done I decided to test everything so far was working correctly.

I first opened the new vegas launcher by using FalloutNVLauncher.exe, the game auto-detected the graphic settings and then I ran the game, everything worked great. I then ran the launcher through MO to check the video option were consistent and they were. So, I tried to run the game by launching the 4gb patcher through FO, crash. The screen gets black, then I can see the borders of a window in the top left corner and then in the middle of the screen the message fallout NV stopped working.

Tried to start NVSE through MO, again crash in the same way as above. It also crashes when I try to start the vanilla fallout exe. The only thing I am able to run through MO is the launcher and even that results in a crash when I click play.  I am running windows 10 x64 pro and this happens wherever I run MO normally or as admin.

If I run the exes without using MO everything works perfectly.

At this point my installation of the game is as clean as it could be. There's no mod installed whatsoever but what comes with the ultimate edition and NVSE 5.0b2. I am pretty sure as well that it has little to do with my previous installation as I cleaned it thoroughly including any leftover registry key.

Checking MO log it appears that the issue is with the NV.exe, looking at the MO log the last line is this:
Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition\FalloutNV.exe" (a087e5). Last hooked call: unsigned long __stdcall GetFileAttributesW_rep(const wchar_t *) but I can't figure out as until yesterday on my old installation, the game worked brilliantly and the exe was obviously the same. I've uploaded the MO log here for review:

https://pastebin.com/Lykf2RYa

Thanks in advance for any help resolving this.

Edited by red46

6 answers to this question

According to your logs MO has successfully hooked the patched FalloutNV and provided a working VFS for the game. That 'Windows exception' is nothing to worry about. That's why it is flagged as "INFO" not "DEBUG". All that is showing is an unhandled exception has occurred somewhere, nothing serious.

Have you correctly enabled archive handling in MO and sorted the mods in the left-hand pane as well as the plugins in the right-hand pane? Sounds a little like the game is failing to see the assets to create the main menu.

So in your profile labelled 'Vale' do you have "Automatic Archive Invalidation" enabled and on the "Archives" tab is MO handling your archives?

According to your logs MO has successfully hooked the patched FalloutNV and provided a working VFS for the game. That 'Windows exception' is nothing to worry about. That's why it is flagged as "INFO" not "DEBUG". All that is showing is an unhandled exception has occurred somewhere, nothing serious.

Have you correctly enabled archive handling in MO and sorted the mods in the left-hand pane as well as the plugins in the right-hand pane? Sounds a little like the game is failing to see the assets to create the main menu.

So in your profile labelled 'Vale' do you have "Automatic Archive Invalidation" enabled and on the "Archives" tab is MO handling your archives?

Hello, it was configured that way, anyways, it got fixed by restarting the computer, thanks for the help!

I'm having the exact same problem with FO3.  I did a clean install to my SSD (steam version).  I'm currently following the guide here:  https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Kelmych/Fallout3

I have a i5-4460 (4 core, 3.2 ghz), 16 Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX960 (4Gb), running Windows 10.

I did a clean install, then launched the game normally to ensure it would run on Windows 10 and create the .ini files.

I followed the guide and installed all the utilities.  (did not install optionals, have not configured yet.  All utilities except Wrye Flash are installed in a seperate directory from FO3).

I made a backup copy of my Fallout.exe, and then ran the Large Address Aware Enabler.  I then tested the patched Fallout.exe, game started up with no issues.

I then ran the Games for Windows LIVE Disabler.  I tested the game again and it started up no problem.

I fired up Mod Organizer for the first time, and configured it.  I made sure the Bethesda .esms were in the right order, and then I tried to launch FO3 from MO.  The screen went black (full screen) like it was going to load, but then after a couple of seconds, it crashes, with the back screen shrinking to a window and a smaller black screen visible in the upper corner.

There are no mods installed, and I have not made any .ini changes yet.  I have not made it any farther than the "Setting up Mod Organizer" section of the STEP guide.

I launched FO3 again from outside MO, it works fine.  I put back the original Fallout.exe (instead of the LAA patched version) and MO still crashes (though it still launches fine outside MO).

I even tried "turning it off and back on again", but alas, Roy & Moss's go to fix action did naught to fix it.

Help!

post-9216-0-64511100-1461198106_thumb.jpg

logs.7z

STEP Baseline.7z

Your screenshot may actually be showing the reason: Comodo AV package.

As noted in this topic, most AV packages do not like the MO 'hooking' mechanism and sometimes mess up badly with their "safety". Try placing MO in its exclusions list or whatever Comodo's version of that is called.

I'm afraid that isn't it.  I had already added the MO files to my exceptions.  I also tried putting it in gaming mode.  However, to be absolutely sure, I completely uninstalled Comodo security.  Without any firewall or antivirus, I still get the same result... I can run fallout2.exe directly, but not through MO.

Interestingly, I just loaded up MO v1.3.10, and guess what?  Fallout launches successfully from MO.  I went ahead and reinstalled 1.3.11 and it is now working.  Something must have gotten deleted or corrupted by the AV.  Working now, thanks for the help.

Edited by c0dphysh