Advice on Death Alternative

edynacio

Question

I need some advice on using Death Alternative with SRLE. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/45894/?

I like how this mod ads immersion and a more realistic option to dying.

I will obviously be making regular saves as a good practice in case something goes wrong.

In your opinion, is there any reason why I should avoid using this mod with SRLE?

Has anyone used it with SRLE?

7 answers to this question

Have you experience the paralyzed state that mikegray mentions above or often CTD?

What does SkyTweak's bleedout/lives work when a character dies?

I have not experienced any issues with Death Alternative, but I switched to SkyTweak not long after I started using it. It's worth noting that even if all stability and CTD reports are false, it is still true that it will break some dungeons or questlines. Many dungeons (and some mod-added dungeons) were simply not designed to allow the player to leave them halfway, and you may find yourself locked out inconveniently upon return. The user is expected to save often and reload if there are any issues. Your saved game won't break because of this, but if using the console to troubleshoot the occasional locked out dungeon or quest concerns you, then I would avoid DA (and any mod that revives and teleports you). There's a reason you can't fast travel inside dungeons.

SkyTweak's bleedout isn't as believable, but it's more convenient: you have a user-configurable number of lives per day. Upon death, you enter a bleedout state (if you have a live left), and lose a user-configurable amount of gold as punishment. Sleeping resets the number of lives that you have. I have it set that I only have 2 lives per day: not enough to repeatedly exploit anything, but it's enough that I no longer save/reload very often. This also avoids the problems I mentioned, as you never actually leave the dungeon when you die. You lose a live (and gold), or you reload.

Edited by Harpalus

I'm curious to hear what other folks have to say about DA.

Though I haven't used it for a while, I HAVE used the latest version, and it's a sweet concept.

However, I've had some stability issues - even though it is in theory supposed to be actually MORE stable than a normal die-revert-to-last-save. I seemed to get more CTDs than I liked, and my characters often ended up in a sort of weird paralyzed state after blacking out - though I eventually found some settings that mostly kept that from happening.

Also: Although it's fun to wake up in some odd place and go about putting your life back together again, it can get old too. In difficult (usually boss) fights, I'd often prefer to die and revert to my pre-boss-fight save for a another try with different tactics. Tramping through the same dungeon 5 times to get back to that one tricky patch can wear on the nerves ... 

However, I've had some stability issues - even though it is in theory supposed to be actually MORE stable than a normal die-revert-to-last-save. I seemed to get more CTDs than I liked, and my characters often ended up in a sort of weird paralyzed state after blacking out - though I eventually found some settings that mostly kept that from happening.

Also: Although it's fun to wake up in some odd place and go about putting your life back together again, it can get old too. In difficult (usually boss) fights, I'd often prefer to die and revert to my pre-boss-fight save for a another try with different tactics. Tramping through the same dungeon 5 times to get back to that one tricky patch can wear on the nerves ... 

The stability issues would worry me. Do you remember the settings that kept it more stable? I would like to give it a try.

The second issue would be much of a problem because it's easy just to keep make several savings during playthrough, mainly before the big fights.

I wonder if others are presently using DA with SRLE successfully?

I haven't personally experienced stability issues with Death Alternative, but if you're looking for something a little more lightweight and compatible then I recommend using SkyTweak's bleedout/lives mechanic.

Have you experience the paralyzed state that mikegray mentions above or often CTD?

What does SkyTweak's bleedout/lives work when a character dies?

it is still true that it will break some dungeons or questlines. Many dungeons (and some mod-added dungeons) were simply not designed to allow the player to leave them halfway, and you may find yourself locked out inconveniently upon return.

Thanks for the detailed advice, that answers some of my concerns.

I've tested it for a couple of days and it seems that it gives more problems then what it worth. My characted gets stuck many times after bleeds out and teleporting to a new area.

I'm going to give SkyTweak's a try. I like the ideia that also allow you to configure the speedmult and carryweight, although you can change that in the console.

Hey edynacio -

Yeah - "more trouble that it's worth" is pretty much the conclusion I came to - though I REALLY don't want to come across as trashing the work that went into that mod. I understand that it works extremely well for some people, and actually stabilizes their games.

One thing about the getting stuck after bleedout issue - there are various ways of getting stuck, and I expect they all have their own causes. My problem was being stuck in a kind of T-Pose animation after blackouts. After spending A LOT of time looking for solutions, I found the following that actually worked: In the first page of them MCM menu, setting "Perc. Health Large Hit" to 0. 

More here: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3h4gzg/help_death_alternative/

Yeah - "more trouble that it's worth" is pretty much the conclusion I came to - though I REALLY don't want to come across as trashing the work that went into that mod. I understand that it works extremely well for some people, and actually stabilizes their games.

One thing about the getting stuck after bleedout issue - there are various ways of getting stuck, and I expect they all have their own causes. My problem was being stuck in a kind of T-Pose animation after blackouts. After spending A LOT of time looking for solutions, I found the following that actually worked: In the first page of them MCM menu, setting "Perc. Health Large Hit" to 0. 

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Yes the mod is great and only an experienced modder could materialize that concept of giving us an alternative to dying.

I'm glad you sent me that link. I'm willing to give DA another chance and test it a little bit further. I just love the concept of realism that gives instead of just reloading the game.

Have you experienced the falling into the void after waking up? If so what was the solution?

Edited by edynacio