Restarted MO and now profiles are screwed up, executables are missing, style was reverted, and saves are missing.

Amywalker730

Question

Hello there, I had spent the past week organizing, troubleshooting, and preparing around 450 mods that I have installed. I had virtually had my work completed when Mod Organizer gave me the middle finger. It began with it exiting oddly. It just shut-off without any message. When I restarted Mod Organizer my profiles where all screwed up. Saved games where missing and seemingly random mods where active. My style had also been reverted to the default "none," from "Dark.qss". Finally, all of the executables that I had added, such as TESVEdit and RSPatcher are no longer listed.

I don't have a clue as to what happened. I've tried updating Mod Organizer, restarting it, and restarting my PC, but nothing has worked. 

8 answers to this question

First thing I would look at is whether Windows updated any files during this time period. Random crashes and files not being saved sound like MO was denied access to folders and couldn't complete the actions.

The entire MO installation is a 'portable' one, meaning there are no hidden settings in files elsewhere or stored in the registry so any issues with it not seeing your saves or other files means those settings weren't saved in the modorganizer.ini, possibly when you experienced one of those random crashes.

Thank you for the help. 

There doesn't seem to have been any Windows updates. I did manage to find my saves and copy and paste them into my profile where they are now read, but there are no indication of an archives.txt that had the list of mods I had activated at the time things went crazy. I've searched through all of the files named such on my drive but no luck. :(

Oh, I only had the one crash. Apart from that Mod Organizer is very stable for me. :P

Now I can't load a modded game of skyrim without crashing. Even when starting a new game and going to the next cell will cause a crash. I have mot the smallest idea of what happened. I think I might just be better off reinstalling MO at this point. Something seems to have gone very wrong...

Edited by Amywalker730

I'm still using 1.3.8 and haven't seen that problem, but I have 275 mods installed so I'm nowhere close to the 450 mark. The only reason I asked is because I wondered if this might have something to do with the 1.3.10 update, but apparently this is unrelated. I somehow doubt having 450 mods has anything to do with this, either. It's more like that something in memory or on disk was corrupted that caused Mod Organizer to crash, and when it crashed it couldn't save everything correctly.

For what it's worth, I always keep a good backup of the Mod Organizer folder (and all its subfolders) on another hard drive so I can easily recover if anything odd happens. I also use Beyond Compare 4 so I can keep these synchronized easily. If you have a spare disk and the space available, you might consider doing the same. I'd rather spend 15 minutes restoring from a backup than hours setting up everything from scratch.

Sadly it looks like what you suffered was an annoyance and regrettable, but not an MO issue.

You probably don't have to re-install MO, just make a new profile and start with that. The selection of mods used to generate the game are listed in the folder named after the profile used in MO, if there was an issue with saving the files those may now be corrupted. Since your mods are still safe all you need do is add them to a new profile and you should be good to go.

As a safety measure I backup the mods, downloads and profile folders on a separate drive.

Once a day or after a major dowload, mod install session.

With these you can quickly recover from any MO problem.

As for what happened if this happened to me I would want to run a hard disk check. Losing files and having them move is never a good sign.  

I'm guessing this has to do with launching MO with admin privileges and then launching it without admin privileges.  Either you did this by using different Windows accounts or you right-clicked your executable and did it that way.  I am guessing this because I had done this before and got "similar" results as you.