Write Protection Reappears Every Time I Run Mod Organizer

lamerthanyou

Question

Hello,

I've been following EssArrBee's STEP guide for modding FNV.  I've been successful in installing NVSE, but as soon as I install FNV4GB updated, I get this error message:

An error occurred trying to write back MO settings to C:/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/Fallout New Vegas/Mod Organizer/ModOrganizer.ini.new: File is write protected.  

I've checked the forums for a solution and I've implemented all of them (changing the directory from read only to all, changing the permissions for the games directory, etc.), and each solution works only temporarily.  I open mod organizer once, and it works, but on the second time, I get the error message again.  I have not found a way to remove this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lamerthanyou

7 answers to this question

Which MO version and which OS are you running?

Additionally I would suggest moving your MO install out of the Steam sub-folder structure, place it in a folder of it's own away from anything related to Steam, Program Files or any other Windows controlled folder. You can just move the whole folder, there are no registry or hidden settings anywhere that will be broken by moving it.

Yes. Anywhere away from anything likely to have control issues. Even creating a new folder called C:\Games\FNV\ModOrganizer\ is fine.

MO does not need to be in any folder close to either the game or Steam to work, for that matter it can be on a completely different drive.

Thanks for the advice.  I've moved it out, but I've noticed one thing.  The whole games directory, a folder that I made myself, becomes write protected every time I launch mod organizer.  I'm not sure why this occurs, as my permissions for the folder have been set to all access.

Scratch that, it appears my entire hard drive doesn't set permissions for users, and I can't modify this.  I give myself the permissions, but it still sets the directory to read only. 

Edited by lamerthanyou