What happened to the external fomod installer?

myztikrice

Question

12 answers to this question

No I did not install it wrong. It is one folder inside one archive. Please don't insult my intelligence and I won't insult yours.

It looks like the external installer only works when right clicking and installing a mod or clicking the install mod from archive button, but not from the Downloads pane.

Edited by myztikrice

It seems like even that isn't the case. No fomod installer is used when installing Realistic Boat Bobbing either through the Downloads pane or through the button/context menu. Ever other fomod mod I've tried has brought up the external installer only when using the button/context menu though.

I'm not insulting your intelligence. I have no idea of your settings but I do know that for everyone else there is no problem, I am only trying to get some information about what is different with your install to everyone else.

Your opinion of what is and isn't working with the fomod installer is based solely on your experince whereas I am basing my questions and opinion on that of the userbase as a whole.

So I will ask again, how did you install the latest upgrade? Is one on top of a 1.2.x series install?

If your opening question, based on the title of your thread, is actually: What happened to the Internal fomod installer?, then the answer is far easier to arrive at.

If the fomods you are trying to install are C# script based, then ONLY the external installer is called regardless of the setting you apply.

On the otherhand XML based scripted fomods can use the internal code inside MO and the external installer if that is the setting you have.

So if you are changing the settings and still see the one type of installer, that is probably because the mod in question is a C# based one and therefore the internal installer is NEVER used.

However, as the small dialog that appears shows, this is the 'external' installer and it hasn't gone anywhere. Anything other than that is a fault and needs to have some supporting background to go with it such as your installation settings etc.

Merely asserting something is wrong without evidence will not have very much traction in bugfixing.

EDIT:

No, not even that is correct. Some C# fomods call the internal installer and others don't. Still alot of work to do with the fomod installers.

Yeah, my bad. Looking at one mod that has a C# script and installed another in MO thinking it was the one I was looking at.  :wallbash:

All C# go through the external installer and only one or two XML scripts have issues with the internal. At any rate regarding the OP the external installer is where it has always been and hasn't 'gone' anywhere.