Ugrids Stability - Running Vanilla Skyrim through MO

Shadowarriorx

Question

Hello,

I have recently installed Mod Organizer (MO) via the videos Gopher has posted on YouTube.  I like the virtual system idea better than the way NMM handles the Skyrim data file, so I thought I would try out modding Skyrim this way. [i have used NMM up to this point].

I am having issues with the stability of ugrids when running mod organizer as compared to running the game not through mod organizer.  

I am able to run the Skyrim (launching the normal way and not through MO) at a ugrids value of 9 with the appropriate values for the other variables specified.  The game is stable and I haven't had any issues.  However, with no mods enabled, when I launch the vanilla Skyrim through MO (SKSE or otherwise), I'm unable to fully load a game.  The game will boot to the launch screen and allow me to, continue, save, load, etc...  I then am able to select which save to load and unfortunately the game doesn't completely load.  It appears to hang, but not crash.  I have checked task manager and the ram is allocated (about 1GB to 2GB depending on the save) but stable and not increasing.  I am able to manipulate the camera view on the default load screen and 'helpful tips' are displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen.  Unfortunately the game will stay this way for over 10 minutes and the only way to properly control the system is to end the task in task manager.

Now, I have done some minor trouble shooting.  I am able to load the game just fine at a ugrids value of 5, and for the most part a value of 7 after launching through MO.  I am able to load up those save games under the condition of reduced value for ugrids without issue.  However, when I attempt a value of 9, the game will not respond in the same way.  In the testing I also started a new game to eliminate the problem of a past save game ugrids value having an impact.  As mentioned above, a value of 5 has absolutely no issues, and for the most part 7 is stable.  However, I am not able to even start a new game with a value of 9 specified.

I am changing the values using the MO tools (the puzzle piece) button.  As I understand, this should change the values MO will use for the virtual system.  I have already changed the values I use for my vanilla ini files to 9, and was able to verify these original values did not change when changing the ini files through MO.  I was able to run the game with mods at a ugrids value of 9 using nexus mod manager, but I'm wondering if there is an issue using a virtual system at this high of a value for ugrids.  [i have saved my original non modded games and was able to test on these].

The logs I have seen do not seem to indicate any issue, but I may be mistaken in this.

I would appreciate any help or feedback on this issue.

6 answers to this question

I was able to solve the issue following the advice of this topic:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender#Recommendations

I didn't have the SKSE Folder created and it was in the main data folder, and thus why the issue occurred.  The game is not properly reading the memory as 512MB.  I didn't fully see the earlier recommendation until now.

Thank you for the help.

I'm trying to get my head around this as what you are describing shouldn't be happening.

Without going into a discussion of whether to use ini tweaks to 'uGrids' or not, there should be no difference to the game functionality AFTER MO has created the VFS and relinquished control of the game.

There is next to no MO code running in memory once the game starts.

Does this behaviour of the game hanging only happen on loading saved games or does it also happen with new games?

This will happen on a new game as well.  I am currently looking into Gopher's video about a memory patch, but the latest version of SKSE I have should incorporate this as well.  Perhaps it is possible I didn't install SKSE properly and there is an issue with that. 

I will do some more trouble shooting tonight and see if I'm able to get some more feedback to you on the issue I am having.  I am not saying this is specifically a mod organizer issue, but it seems to be something about launching the game though mod organizer that I'm having the issue with with a higher ugrids value.  The issue I'm having is the infinite load screen.  I apologize for not correctly specifying that in my first post.  I couldn't' think of the proper name at the start. Long day at work =(.

I seem to have found the issue.  I have installed SKSE as gopher recommneded, which is not in the actual data folder of skyrim.  Thus I am able to enable or disable SKSE via MO.  However, it seems that the SKSE.ini isn't being loaded properly.  I have checked the overwrite file and tested this for ugrids 7 and 9.  The 7 will load up with the defaultheap at about 85MB, while the ugrids 9 will hit the 256MB 'cap'.

I was able to find the below topic regarding this issue.  I'm working on the work around, but it seems when I manually create the SKSE.ini in the SKSE addon, it isn't loading the ini file.

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/4164-skseini-question/