Skyrim on 4k monitor (3840x2160)

rothbardian

Question

I'm thinking of buying the Asus 31" 4k monitor. At a native res of 3840x2160 it's roughly 4x the pixels of a 1080p monitor, so I'm wondering if anybody has already been down this road and can share their experience. Any advice/guidance on whether there are GUI or other issues in Skyrim at this res? Does the HUD scale properly? Thanks.

2 answers to this question

You can try it yourself already by using DSR (downsampling) (unless they don't support it on mobile cards but I don't see why). You'll be able to see your framerate (it's probably not gonna be glorious) and GUI issues (none that I'm aware of)

I googled the GTX780Ms and it seem's that's around a GTX660/660ti and SLI around a desktop 780 when scaling is okay, so assuming you're gonna be plugging this monitor on your laptop, and having a (somewhat overclocked) GTX780 myself, I can tell you that you will probably be getting anywhere from 10 to 20, maybe 25 fps with any sort of full-fledged ENB (what I mean by that is preset which has at least Ambient Occlusion and Depth of Field effects enabled, since these 2 are usually the main FPS eaters). You have to get fps back anyway you can, starting by decreasing ambient occlusion sizescale and sourcetexturesscale, maybe reducing shadow resolution, etc.

I don't have a 4k monitor so I can't tell you if the added sharpness and precision in the look is really worth needing such massive horsepower to push the 8 million plus pixels, but for Skyrim I'm kind of inclined to doubt it (for games with a lot of little details etc, no doubt it is worth it if you can afford it)

Thanks for the suggestions, Crime. I'm thinking of getting an SLI desktop, so I think I'd be able to drive the resolution. I'm more wondering if the GUI goes on the fritz at 4k or if it 'just works'...i.e. how much tweaking and fiddling would be necessary to make things run/look right.