MOD Organizer 1.2.18 - Ini Configurator behaviour - bug or new feature?

Myrddin

Question

After upgrading to MOD Organizer 1.2.18 i recognized that when the Ini Configurator is started there are a lot of entries in the MOD Organizer log section regarding ini entries which stated that they are in the wrong ini file. IMO they are right in place where they are .

mo_interface.txt

Is this a new bug introduced with MO 1.2.18?

rgds

Myrddin

Edited by Myrddin

7 answers to this question

Tannin has been fixing a couple of things regarding that tool. TBH, you're better off just using the INI Editor to configure your inis, IMO.

Looking at your list, and running a couple of MO installations that I have, I tend to agree, they do look like they are in the correct place.

I'm fairly certain those messages are correct as the right location for ini settings has been determined directly from skyrims behaviour.

Please note that there is a lot of wrong information being spread in the community about settings. Someone will say that if you change setting xyz the performance will be better, many will believe its true (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo) and spread that wrong information and boom, everyone believes setting xyz will do something when in reality it means nothing to the game. I've found claims about settings improving performance, quality or stability in almost all "optimization"-guides which I can verify are never ever read by the game.

Even the ini files auto-generated by the game itself contain settings in the wrong file or settings that have been abolished after oblivion.

Believe it or not, right now the Configurator is probably the most reliably information about what settings actually do something in Skyrim and where they belong we have.

Still, if you have concrete cases where you can verify that a setting works set in a specific ini file and MO still reports a warning then please contact me but in the general case I'll assume the configurator is right.

Hi Tannin,

thanks for your answer. Most of the warnings i got apply to settings which skyrim itself has written to the ini files. I can't believe that all of these settings should be wrong. Most other settings i took from the S.T.E.P. Wiki. As stated by you above i contacted you via private message (mainly because my native language is german).

@Tannin is at the moment conducting further tests, so I would advise a 'watch and see' stance to this matter. It has no impact on the actual managing of your mods and the game(s) it manages still run fine. You can always use the 'INI Editor' tool to make adjustments to you inis, or use Notepad.

I've tested a little bit and discoverd a problem with the "hidden flag" in the settings.json. If an existing entry in one of the ini files has the hidden flag in settings.json this entry generates a message that the entry is in the wrong ini file. If the hidden flag for this entry is removed the error message disappears.