MO and LOOT - How can I get the result screen to work?

jyujinkai

Question

Every time I run loot form the LOOT application (not the built in version of loot that comes with MO) after it is done the result window with all the important information is blank? This problem has been around for ages, I was hoping it would be fixed in this version. As it hasn't ever been addressed I was wounding if there is some problem on my end?

Any ideas?

Clipboard_1.jpg

Edited by jyujinkai

6 answers to this question

Using the --single-process argument on LOOT (within MO's "Modify Executables"-tab) sitesteps the issue in the latest beta build of LOOT 0.7.0 (using that flag on your build of LOOT will probably only crash the application). There is a second step you can try, which is to move MO out of the C:\Program Files\.. folder (as it is advised anyway), so to a folder that isn't affected by the UAC settings. That should fix the problem.

On another note, please open the UAC options through opening the windows command line, and then writing simply uac and then pressing enter. Which security option is set on your pc (there are 4 available settings)?

All LOOT version mentioned here refer to the dropbox list of the latest loot snapshot builds.

---

Rather than that something is strange with his/her personel setup, I would say that this indeed is a particular problem of MO. Additionaly, there haven't been found reliable steps to reproduce the issue until now.

As far as I know, there are 2-3 documented roots for this issue (depending how you look at it). First, this issue was noticed while using LOOT with MO 1.2.10 and reported here - Bug report #779. Tannin fixed this one with MO 1.2.11.

Quote by Tannin:

MO 1.2.11 has the fix.

But the problem continued to showup, even in MO 1.2.14 - for some people all the time, for some people very rarely and at "random" times; e.g. in my case, LOOT works 99% of the time like it should .. but then again, I had the blank screen 5-6 times aswell .. and I can't tell what it triggered really.

In my case, LOOT will be blank, if it fails to launch "child processes" while being run through MO. This one was reported here - Bug report #901 - the issue is still open on Tannin's issue tracking site. The information that the "--single-process" flag helps in this case, or better said sidesteps the issue, was conceived by wrinklyninja and tested by myself here (see also the following posts). The "--single-process" flag fixed the issue for me 100% reliably (once I have the blank screen it continues to appear for me all the time, until I have restarted MO .. using the --single-process flag "fixed" the issue).

The question that remains is, why do child processes fail in the first place? For example, I have installed Steam/Skyrim/Mod Organizer/LOOT in my custom folder C:\Games\.., so not in C:\Program Files.., a folder that can be restricted by UAC - User Account Control. One would think, that a somehow restricted MO would be out of the equation .. since I do not use that folder and still got the problem a few times.

Note 1:

The last time I had the blank screen was with "0.7.0 Beta 1", until now I did not have the issue with any version of LOOT Beta 2 or Beta 3 (which doesn't need to mean anything (as it could reoccur anytime), but, that is how it is, for now). Edit on 13th of January: blank screen bug confirmed with LOOT 0.7.0 Beta 3-66 and MO 1.2.17

Note 2:

The --single-process flag doesn't work on all versions of LOOT. It was reported to definitely crash LOOT 0.7.0 Alpha 4-58 .. then wrinklyninja adjusted something within LOOT .. and then it was reported to work with LOOT 0.7.0 Alpha 4-229. So if you want to try to use the --single-process flag to "fix" the issue that LOOT is blank if run through MO, you need to use at least version 0.7.0 Alpha 4-229, or better the latest Beta snapshot build.

Anyway, all that said , there were also cases, where simply moving MO out of the C:\Program Files.. folder solved the problem of LOOT being blank (also on MO 1.2.14). That actually stands in contrast to what my experience is (as said, for me the blank screen occured even though I don't touch the Program Files folder), but that's how it is, as weird as it seems. Examples of these cases are ..

Seireitou (most likely)

Chryma

I believe there was also a third documented case, but I can't find it right now ..

So yeah, in some cases the --single-process flag helps (that's when MO fails to launch child process, for whatever reason that is) .. and in some others moving MO out of the C:\Program Files.. folder helps. There also might be a possibility, that simply installing the very latest beta snapshot of LOOT helps to sidestep the issue, but that is only current speculation on my part.

In any case, what I'm now interested in, regarding people which have the blank screen bug, are two things:

• In case MO is not installed in the "C:\Program Files.." folder .. can someone provide reliable steps to reproduce the issue?
  • In case MO is indeed installed in the "C:\Program Files.." folder .. which UAC security setting is set on that PC?
Edit on 13th of January: blank screen bug confirmed with LOOT 0.7.0 Beta 3-66 and MO 1.2.17 Edited by pStyl3

I encountered this using MO 1.2.18 and LOOT v0.7.0 Beta 4. I have MO installed to Program Files (x86) and LOOT installed to Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/skyrim. I'm running Windows 7 and have UAC disabled on my PC. 

Adding the --single-process flag solved the problem for me.  Thanks for the tip pStyl3!

Edited by finalfrog