Problem switching between profiles

Mauxe

Question

I have successfully gone through the entire guide and am able to play (currently) without issue.

There are still two issues that I am not sure about and I am hoping that someone can shed a little light.

First, when I try to launch a Vanilla game, either through MO or through Steam, I get an error message that bfloatpointrendertarget is not set to 1.  I believe this is an issue with ENB and upon investigation I see a large amount of ENB files in my main Skyrim directory.  I feel that I followed each step of the guide closely and that I understand what was being modified - but I also thought that I was leaving my vanilla skyrim intact - so I am not sure what I did wrong (if anything) or if there is a way to make an adjustment which would allow me to run Skyrim vanilla without ENB. 

Second, the final steps of the guide go through the Bash patch as well as the ASIS and Dual Sheath Redux patches.  These all get put into the overwrite folder automatically.  I have created a "Skyrim Revisited - Modded" profile to add additional mods to while keeping the original "Skyrim Revisited" profile as a base.  My question is: what is the best way to cleanly switch between profiles once I am not adding additional mods?  Right now I have saved separate copies of the overwrite folder and switch them out each time.  Would it work for me to put those folders in the mods folder of MO (knowing that if I made any changes I would need to re-do them)? 

I can test the second part out myself but I'm at work today :( and I needed to ask the first question anyway - so I thought someone with better knowledge could help.

Thanks for any insight! 

6 answers to this question

When an ENB is used it is in the vanilla directory and used all the time. Each profile in MO has its own set of INI files that are separate from the ones in MY Games folder. When you modify the ini files in the active profile only those files are modified. You would have to add bfloatpointrendertarget to that one in My Games also. Unless you copied a profile to a new one, a new profile will contain the ini files from the vanilla directory.

The overwrite folder is persistent across all profiles. You have to right click the overwrite folder and create a mod from it. Give it a name appropriate for the profile.

Thanks for the feedback.  I understand the different INI files and that my error is coming from having vanilla INI's without the needed additions for ENB. 

I was hoping to be able to keep my main folder playable from Steam as my son wants to play also but doesn't want all of the mods.

It sounds as though I will need to set up the base game to use my ENB settings at the very least in order for that to work. 

Thanks for the overwrite clarification also.  That definitely helps.

...I was hoping to be able to keep my main folder playable from Steam as my son wants to play also but doesn't want all of the mods.

It sounds as though I will need to set up the base game to use my ENB settings at the very least in order for that to work...

I would strongly advise against trying to maintain any Steam mods AND use MO. MO works best when the Skyrim Data folder is kept clean of mods directly installed into it, as in the case of Steam loading mods. Trying to maintain a correct load order with MO fighting against the Data folder WILL cause you more grief than it is worth.

You can easily set up a 'vanilla' profile from with in MO that only uses the default assets and your son can use that. You, if you want, can set up multiple profiles with as many or few mods installed and play them without fear of any conflicts when changing them. This is in fact one of MO's biggest selling points.

Neo - that was the incredibly easy step that I was missing.  Thanks!

Also - I am not maintaining any mods from Steam.  It is just easiest for him to launch the game through Steam.  I keep separate login profiles on my computer and MO is not set-up on his.  

I will just disable the ENB when I am finished playing so that his will be pure vanilla.

One follow-up question - is there a way to separate save games per profile?  Or rename save games?

One follow-up question - is there a way to separate save games per profile?  Or rename save games?

In the SR:LE profile settings, check "Local Savegames" and click [OK]. It will move your save games out after exiting so its only available for that profile. MO has a built in savegame handler.