Do I have to install 2.N. Patches after installing Core+Extended?

xxx78

Question

I just wonder if I have to install 2.N. Patches after installing everything else or will it cause problems if I dont do it?

The reason I ask is that I'm going to test many other mods and I'm afraid that I have to do a lot of extra work with bashed patch and FNIS when testing other mods.

Cheers :)

Edited by xxx78

7 answers to this question

STEP patches are not necessary, as far as I understand they incorporate some of the ESPs from other mods in STEP (so if you keep that in mind and use those ESPs - you are good to go without STEP patches). Bashed patch - based on the AMB book of silence page https://wiki.step-project.com/AMidianBorn_Book_of_Silence - you have to use it if you use the Content Addon part of it. Otherwise maybe not necessary, though it merges changes from some ESPs based on Bash Tags which should help to ensure compatibility...

Better Shaped Weapons isn't really a patch, as far as I understand it just has to go after DSR... DSR and FNIS are optional. Though if you use DSR, you will also need XP32 skeleton, which needs FNIS, or you will have glitches (like torch holding glitch)

Edited by Ubeogesh

If you know how to patch mods, no because its pretty easy...

If you do NOT know how to patch your own mods then you must us the patch to provide quality support. 

If you follow STEP all the way through -yes, I know its painful- 

then I can almost guarantee that your game will work just fine and without any issues.

There are few circumstances that people had issues but a majority of the issues were easily fixable...

It wont cause issues, or shouldn't stability wise. You MAY see occasional little things not working until you make the bashed patch, that's about all I've found in my experience.

Just run all the patchers like Duel Sheath etc when you're fairly sure you wont be adding many more mods and the list is pretty much complete. If you have Dual Sheath in your load order but haven't run the DSR patcher you'll get reminded about it every startup until you do it. If you run into the legendary T-Posed NPC's that's just FNIS being loopy. 

But like my learned colleague above says, follow STEP to the end, and just add on top of it. You're likely to be pretty solid unless you make a real hash of any install.

All good and fun and fine and best of luck to you.

Thanks guys for your answers.

If I understand it right by not doing 2N patches it will cause some glitches and certain new content will not show.

If this is the case it is maybe a bad idea to test other mods if 2N is not done, since glitches and new content will not show up right?

hmm...its just seem like so much hassle to update bashed patch and FNIS almost every time I test a new mod but I guess this is the only way to test other mods properly.

Well, there is a reason a lot of people use bashed patch because it easy and quick.

For oblivion I rely on it to patch everything and it takes about 10 min.

This is going to come down to why do you refuse to do it?

It's something that if pretty much required to keep leveled list happy.

Can there be issues with bashed patch? Yes, but you won't notice them, I doubt anyone will actually notice them unless you are specifically looking for something in particular.

Fnis isn't something you need to run every time the time but you know when it does and when it is okay that it isn't run.

Bashed patch doesn't need to be run every time either only when there are any sort of leveled list changes.

Well, there is a reason a lot of people use bashed patch because it easy and quick.

For oblivion I rely on it to patch everything and it takes about 10 min.

This is going to come down to why do you refuse to do it?

It's something that if pretty much required to keep leveled list happy.

Can there be issues with bashed patch? Yes, but you won't notice them, I doubt anyone will actually notice them unless you are specifically looking for something in particular.

Fnis isn't something you need to run every time the time but you know when it does and when it is okay that it isn't run.

Bashed patch doesn't need to be run every time either only when there are any sort of leveled list changes.

Thanks for clearing this up even further. The reason Im trying to avoid batched patched is that I love to test mods and my understanding of bashed patch is very low even after reading through some guides. I therefor difficult to evaluate what is being patched, why it is patched and if things is done correctly. And according to STEP guide this have to be done each time the plugin list/order changes and STEP also use "Import Names", "Import Stats", "Tweak Settings", and "Leveled Lists", not only leveled list.

Its fun testing mods but the goal is to build a mod library to work with STEP core+extended, but I find it hard to evaluate other mods when Im not even sure if bashed patch is done correctly or working. So I hoped to avoid using batched patch when doing all this testing

But when using STEP I guess I just have to either trust batched patch or spend more time reading up on how it work.

Thanks again for your help :)

I ignored the details of "Import Names""Import Stats""Tweak Settings" because those are things that are pretty hard to pick up on.

The tweak settings is like using a mod that changes a certain variable for skyrim.

I don't have an example because the Wrye Bash in Skyrim is lacking features...

the one for Oblivion is huge.

You may be able to get away without rebuilding if you add or remove a mod when there isn't there a bash tag

The bashed patch is going to be fine for 95% of people the other 5% being people that are trying to find why X monster/loot is/isn't in the list properly. Its because they have the wrong tags

Edited by hishutup