I have a 1440p monitor but I want to play skyrim in 1080p. What are my options?

DoYouEvenModBro

Question

Set your own resolution manually in the skyrimprefs.ini 

That is about it. You will ofc not be able to retain aspect ratio´s and there will be visible stretching if you play on a lower resolution on a larger monitor. 

There's no way to get around this? It won't look correct? I can't have black bars around it or something? I found this mod but could not for the life of me figure out if it would help me or how to even use it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7347/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D7347%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D544975&pUp=1

Edited by DoYouEvenModBro

There's no way to get around this? It won't look correct? I can't have black bars around it or something? I found this mod but could not for the life of me figure out if it would help me or how to even use it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7347/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D7347%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D544975&pUp=1

Some monitors have the option to disable fit to screen. It depends on the monitor. That way you could get the black borders and native resolution.

You can improve the up scaling by letting your GPU handle it. If you set gpu upscaling to true under "my digital flat panels" in the CCC the image quality should be quite good at 1080p.

Some monitors have the option to disable fit to screen. It depends on the monitor. That way you could get the black borders and native resolution.

You can improve the up scaling by letting your GPU handle it. If you set gpu upscaling to true under "my digital flat panels" in the CCC the image quality should be quite good at 1080p.

Oh. You mean the option that says "enable GPU scaling" with the 3 options underneath it? One is like "maintain aspect ratio" one is something else and one is like "center timings"? I probably want to use center timings right?

Have you even tried what we have suggested.

Is there an actual issue or are you not understanding what we suggested.

Yes gpu scaling is a thing and I thought is was enabled by default.

The display res, renderer res, and full screen res are all different.

Is there an actual problem?

Well I haven't tried what you suggested due to a number of reasons.

A few being.

1. The monitor was JUST delivered today and I'm at work.

2. As explained in point #1, I'm at work and am unable to test.

As for a problem...yes, there is a problem. The problem is that I know 1080p on 1440p looks bad so I needed a workaround. That's why I created this post.

I do not know the difference between those 3 res, no.

There is no workaround to make a smaller resolution look good on a monitor that has a native higher resolution. Lower effects to match your FPS requirement or live with the stretching... or get a larger GPU that does not care about 1440p. 

The only workarounds are the other way around where you can ask the GPU to render at a larger resolution and then downsample it to your display resolution. 

GPU scaling actually looks really good full screen, I would at least try it. It depends on how far you sit from your monitor though (you shouldn't sit to close for the sake of your eyes anyway). You will probably have to make this trade off for some gpu generations to come if you are into newer titles. I personally prefer higher settings to higher resolution if I have to choose.

@hishutup: It probably isn't enabled by default to keep people from complaining about their benchmark scores. GPU scaling comes with a performance hit (dunno how large).