Mod Organizer Priorities

p4ck3tl055

Question

Just so I can confirm what I think I know:

If I move a mod up or down on the left-hand window of MO, that basically provides the same functionality as installing mods in a particular order for NMM, correct?

Put another way:  If I accidentally install MOD-B before MOD-A, can I move MOD-A above MOD-B and the end result would be the same as if I installed MOD-A first?

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of warping my current setup into a new profile based on SR:LE, which contains a lot of similarities, but I don't want to uninstall then re-install all of the mods to match Neovalen's installation order unless I have to.

4 answers to this question

As said correct Skyrim Revisted should still be followed as a new profile though not a copy of existing one you have and I Recommend making a full unmodified by you version first time.

That profile can then be both updated with ease using useful Wiki versioning feature and copied as another profile that can be changed to your choices.

The most important thing is it will teach how to mod properly and well using all available tools.

As to Mods and Profiles you install once however many profiles you use that mod on.

One crucial exception is Optional variants.

Best choice is install the variants as separate "modlets".

Then main is always used with the variants required for each profile.

Ideally no identical file is installed more than once.

The other way of making complete mod variants is wastful of space but simpler to do.

Running FoMod installers and choosing different options does it this way, while the first method would break apart the mod into separate folders.

Juat changing a single letter of the mod name will install as separate mods.

Phone battery out of power so posted.

One crucial exception is Optional variants.Best choice is install the variants as separate "modlets".Then main is always used with the variants required for each profile.Ideally no identical file is installed more than once.The other way of making complete mod variants is wastful of space but simpler to do.Running FoMod installers and choosing different options does it this way, while the first method would break apart the mod into separate folders.Juat changing a single letter of the mod name will install as separate mods.Phone battery out of power so posted.

Interesting - I never though about the multiple profiles like this....but I see what you're driving at.  I may try that with a future character.  Thanks for the tip.

Clarification

This method is not only for different Profiles.

The core technique, of only installing options and variants once, is to preserve SSD space. Though it can be used to switch between the choices in the same profile, with the usual care about save corruption. Switching textures for example.

Having said it can be used in one profile, it doesn't mean you should. Profiles use very little space, so for testing setups is easier and safer option.

Play setups are best left alone, once started.

I intend to make a Wiki section explaining core technique in more detail.

I'll post a link when done.