ISSUES: Pre-Optimization File Structure - HRDLC3 Folder Question

Eglyntine

Question

Sorry if this has been answered already, I checked through the first page of threads to see if anyone addressed or was having a similar issue and I did not see this particular issue I am having.

I have uninstalled Skyrim, cleaned up my system of any links, registry entries, etc. and I am starting out with a completely clean install of Skyrim Mod Organizer and STEP's latest version.

I am at the Organizing the Vanilla Textures for Selective Optimization / Pre-Optimization stage. I just ran the 2_Pre-Optimization_2.7.bat file and it seemed to run smoothly and the log.txt came back with no errors and 16 blank lines. The issue that has me a little perplexed is that when I compare the new File Structure to the example you have listed in the instructions it does not completely match.

Instead of looking like this:

Working

Vanilla Extracted

Dawnguard

Dragonborn

Hearthfires

HRDLC1

HRDLC2

HRDLC3

STD

Vanilla Normal Maps

Dawnguard

HRDLC1

HRDLC2

HRDLC3

STD

Vanilla Optimized

STD

Vanilla Ordinary Textures

Dawnguard

Dragonborn

Hearthfires

HRDLC1

HRDLC2

HRDLC3

STD

Vanilla Uncompressed Textures

HRDLC1

HRDLC2

STD

It looks like this:

Working

Vanilla Extracted

Dawnguard

Dragonborn

Hearthfires

HRDLC1

HRDLC2

HRDLC3

STD

Vanilla Normal Maps

Dawnguard

HRDLC1

HRDLC2

HRDLC3

STD

Vanilla Optimized

STD

HRDLC3 - Different from Instructions Example (Size: 53MB Items: 41 Files: 22)

Vanilla Ordinary Textures

Dawnguard

Dragonborn

Hearthfires

HRDLC1

HRDLC2

HRDLC3

STD

Vanilla Uncompressed Textures

HRDLC1

HRDLC2

HRDLC3 - Different from Instructions Example (Size: 0)

STD

It has added the HRDLC3 folder to Vanilla Optimized and Vanilla Uncompressed Textures. All of the new folders with the exception of the HRDLC3 in the new File Structure matches the File Structure and Sizes listed in the Working Folder example screenshot referenced at the bottom of the page's instructions.

Have I done something wrong or are the DDSopt Optimization Of Vanilla Textures instructions not up to date with the latest STEP process? I have been extremely meticulous about following the instructions exactly but obviously the results have come out different. I do not want to move forward even though I received no errors on the Pre-Opt. process and have exactly 16 blank lines but there are two additional folder locations.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I ran the program in "Run As Administrator"

E.

"Fairness Is An Illusion We Do Not Provide Here..." - NLM

3 answers to this question

2 days ago i got to the same point in the process and experienced the same issue. I'm guessing either the batch file is wrong or the folder structure given in the guide is inaccurate.

It might be an idea to post this in the DDSopt optimization thread.

UPDATE: I was re-browsing the Quick Start Guide section of the DDSopt guide and the screenshot for the directory results does include the new process structure. It just was not updated in the detailed instructions section. So issue resolved.

E.

"Fairness Is An Illusion We Do Not Provide Here..." - NLM

A new version (v2.74) of the batch files was uploaded that no longer creates the empty HRDLC3 folder in "Vanilla Uncompressed Textures". The batch file was changed a while ago to put the uncompressed model space normal maps in HRDLC3 in "Vanilla Optimized" rather than "Vanilla Uncompressed Textures" to avoid any possible corruption of a large 2Kx2K male body MSN texture during optimization, but the now-empty folder was still being created. The batch file change doesn't change the optimized output; it's the same with both the old and new version.

STEP will be adding male body textures from "Better Males" as discussed in the "Mod Testing" thread, so this vanilla male body MSN texture will be overwritten by one from "Better Males".