New STEP CORE install CTD at New

Barvis

Question

Issue:

Launch through MO with all STEP 2.2.8 installed.

Main menu comes up with no saved games (as expected).

Select New -- animation comes up of what I presume are two red eyes against a black background.  There is no image or texture.  Just "red eyes" against black with the typical "fog" in the bottom of the screen.

At the close of the animation CTD.

Launching through MO at default (no plug-ins).

Fresh install using STEP Core runs fine (benchmark in progress).  New games can be created, old saves loaded, etc...

Any thoughts on next steps to troubleshoot?

Via BOSS here is the list of SKSE plug-ins:

SKSE Version: 0.1.6.16

CellStabilizer.dll

Fuz Ro D'oh.dll Version: 6.0.6.405

Smart Souls.dll Version: 9.0.6.405

chargen.dll

nioverride.dll

Recognized Plugins:

Skyrim.esm Active

Update.esm ActiveBash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

Contains dirty edits: 92 ITM, 3 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.

Dawnguard.esm ActiveContains dirty edits: 619 ITM, 82 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.

Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

HearthFires.esm ActiveContains dirty edits: 184 ITM, 11 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Active

Dragonborn.esm ActiveContains dirty edits: 61 ITM, 8 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp ActiveBash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}

Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm Active

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp ActiveBash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

Note: If you using version 2.0 of the unofficial patches but you see this message you need to download this file: userlist.txt. After the download you need to copy this file to your 'BOSS\Skyrim\' folder or add the contents of this file to an already existing userlist.txt. Just ignore this message after updating any preexisting userlist.txt or copying the file to your 'BOSS\Skyrim\' folder.

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp ActiveBash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

HighResTexturePack01.esp Active

HighResTexturePack02.esp Active

HighResTexturePack03.esp Active

Brawl Bugs CE.esp Active

Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp Active

Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp ActiveBash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev, Stats}}

rainbows.esp Active

ADS.esp Active

AOS.esp ActiveNote: See also AOS compatibility patches page on Nexus.

BWS-MolagMace.esp Active

DragonShoutVoice.esp Active

Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp Active

detailed rugs.esp Active

TradeBarter.esp ActiveBash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

Auto Unequip Ammo.esp Active

ClamsDropPearls.esp Active

Dead Body Collision.esp Active

fFastTravelSpeedMult_4.esp Active

Moss Rocks.esp Active

Moss Rocks_DB.esp Active

ORM-Arvak.esp Active

PilgrimsDelight.esp Active

Point The Way.esp Active

shootingstars.esp Active

Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp Active

SkyrimImprovedPuddles-DG-HF-DB.esp ActiveNote: Use only one SkyrimImprovedPuddles esp.

NoxUE2.00.esp Active

RaceMenu.esp Active

RaceMenuPlugin.esp ActiveNote: RaceMenuPlugin is optional and provides support to alter Height, Breast, Glute and Biceps. If you experience issues with it, disable RaceMenuPlugin.esp and inform the author.

skyui.esp Active

Elemental Staves.esp Active

ExplosiveBoltsVisualized.esp Active

imp_helm.esp Active

imp_helm_imp.esp Active

imp_helm_dawn.esp Active

imp_help_dbrn.esp Active

imp_guard_helm.esp Active

Gildergreen Regrown.esp Active

Run For Your Lives.esp Active

When Vampires Attack.esp Active

The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp Active

treehouse.esp Active

Appropriately Attired Jarls Redux.esp Active

Distant DetailHF.esp ActiveContains dirty edits: 694 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.

DiversePriests.esp Active

Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp ActiveNote: Do not clean. "Dirty" edits are intentional and required for the mod to function.

SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp ActiveNote: Uninstall old version of Skyrim Flora Overhaul if using SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp

Soul Gems Differ - E.esp Active

unreadbooksglow.esp Active

aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp Active

dD-No Spinning Death Animation DG.esp Active

Beards.esp Active

Brows.esp Active

SPTConsistentOlderPeople.esp ActiveNote: If this is not newer than v1.3, update to the latest version.

moveitLWT.esp Active

DawnguardRuneWeaponsFXSReplacer.esp Active

RealisticWaterTwo.esp Active

RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp Active

crimsonquestmarkers.esp Active

smakit_house_markers.esp ActiveContains dirty edits: 11 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.

@Alkira -- Thanks for the lead!

I never thought to look there as it's ENB complaining about AA being enabled by the graphics adapter and ENBLocal.ini is specific to ENB (it's own config file).

Two interesting things stand out to me in my first look at the ini which will give me something fun to play with and figure out next week.

FPSLimit=40.0

(See my note above about my frame rate dropping to around 40ish...) I wonder if FPSLimit is setting a floor or a ceiling (my bet)?

And then later I'm finding:

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]

Enable=true

Quality=1

DesiredFPS=24.0 ; consistent to my experience when "there is a lot going on" such as when both a dragon and an windmill and a bunch of NPC's are going at it.

Both FPS settings are consistent with what I'm experiencing (and it's a great experience so far). Though now I wonder if I can bump the quality even higher. :-)

To the RED AA message from ENB:

[ANTIALIASING]

EnableEdgeAA=true

EnableTemporalAA=false

EnableSubPixelAA=false

EnableTransparencyAA=false

I had at first thought that these AA settings were for software based rendering (within ENB)... Maybe this is the real complaint by ENB. That these are turned off. Which makes the message from ENB that much more confusing as it's complaining about having detected HW based AA.

To add a little more light (unintended pun) on the subject I found this:

From here:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1014677-a-little-help-with-enb-and-anti-aliasing/

As of ENB v121212 (I think) onwards you'll get that red text appearing on game startup if you have any level of MSAA enabled. If that occurs then you'll lose the SSAO feature of ENB. Either way, QuietCool ENB uses a much later ENB version so this is definitely the case and it has ENBs own AA method turned on by default. However I've heard very little about ENBs AA here on the forums, and when I have heard of it, people don't use it as it apparently causes too much overall blur. To disable it open the enbseries.ini file and adjust the section...

[ANTIALIASING]

EnableEdgeAA=true

...and set true to false - save the file and it's disabled.

I don't know why MSAA and ENBs SSAO don't play well together, but it seems your choices and way forward are:

- You could either stay with the later ENB version and experience any optimisations that those versions bring while losing MSAA to gain ENB SSAO,

- Stay with the later ENBs and lose SSAO to gain MSAA

- Revert to an older ENB preset and mod that does support both SSAO and MSAA at the same time which will be ENB v0.119 or earlier.