Migrating to MO

Warsaw2135

Question

Hi, for awhile now I've been thinking of migrating all my installed mods from NMM to MO but Im not sure if it would work with the following:

Bodyslide 2 and Outfit Studio

ENB (the ones with files that need to be installed in the Data folder)

Do I install them normally (in the Data folder) or using MO?

6 answers to this question

Like Aiyen said, MO just like every mod manager (I believe) operates on the /data directory, NOT the directory. Don't know bodyslide 2 and outfit studio. ENB's which also install stuff in the /data directory can be used with MO. Just copy the files in the directory and create a new "mod" for the /data files. This way the data directory stays clean. See for more info the advanced tab of the MO wiki, section "the virtual filing system". The same is true for SKSE. The advanced tab also has a section 'migrating from NMM to MO' which might be useful. Also there is the NMM importer which works pretty well. One exeption: it does not support 'overwritten files'. As long as you have all imported mods enabled there is NO problem. MO tells you after the import what mods have overwritten files which were not copied and which mods you have to install manually (in case you don't enable all NMM importerted mods. Someone I know is working on the NMM importer to 'enhance' it. Perhaps in the near future the NMM importer will be able to import all mods (with overwritten files) and provide a few more tricks..... Who knows......

So everything that i normally put in the data folder can be installed with MO...including SKSE plugins?

What about mods like RaceMenu which saves character face presets on SKSE\Plugins\CharGen\Presets where do I get them from in MO to back them up?

By Wolverine2710: Instead of creating a reply I accidently edited your post. I think I have salvaged most. I apologize for that. Being tired and having  'moderator' rights is some times scary and error prone. Please recreate/edit your post so that it reflects the original posting. Please accept my humble apologizes.....

So everything that i normally put in the data folder can be installed with MO...including SKSE plugins?

Correct.

What about mods like RaceMenu which saves character face presets on SKSE\Plugins\CharGen\Presets where do I get them from in MO to back them up?

I haven't used that one before. In principle when a mod/program updates a file or creates a file it ends up in the 'overwrite' directory. See the 'overwrite' tab in the MO wiki. It also contains strategies for handling a 'local overwrite' directory for each profile. Something MO does not support and Tannin has stated he is not going to support.  When MO can determine that a program updated a file it is NOT created in the overwrite directory but in the mod it self. In the latest versions MO is able to detect that Tes5Edit (started by MO) changed a file and the cleaned file is updated in the cleaned mod. The created backup files of Tes5Edit are stored in the ovewrite directory. With drag&drop the files can be moved with MO. An alternative is to use windows explorer and then move/copy files. The overwrite directory is in /overwrite, the mods are in the /mods directory.

I've read that skse mods like Elys MemInfo write the logs to the overwite directory. If you move the logfile to the correct place in the Elys Meminfo then afterwards when the logfile is changed its changed in that directory.

Note: I have to admit that the wiki overwrite article needs some cleaning up. Perhaps a small explanation which windows copy/move actions cause problems (with a reference to the original 'ovewrite' article) and then summing up the behavior for all known programs/mods. So far the wiki team has not been able to do that, BUT everyone can and is encouraged to update the wiki!!!

By Wolverine2710: Instead of creating a reply I accidently edited your post. I think I have salvaged most. I apologize for that. Being tired and having  'moderator' rights is some times scary and error prone. Please recreate/edit your post so that it reflects the original posting. Please accept my humble apologizes.....

No worries, you've answered all my questions. thanks! :)

I have a few more though, Bodyslide 2 and Outfit Studio is a third party app that allows us to convert armors / clothing to almost any body type...can I treat it like any other third party app like the skyproc patchers that normally install and work in the Data directory?

EDIT: Ok it looks like MO doesnt recognise it yet but it works if you install it like a regular party app. Just followed these steps (by monsto):

1) start mod organizer

2) drop down the "games and tools" list (just to the left of the run button)

3) at the top, click edit

4) fill out the fields for Bodyslide 2

- the button next to Binary is for locating the... uh... binary

- start in = blank

- no arguments. (NONE. AND THAT'S FINAL.)

5) Click Add then OK.

...just remember to tick "Run as Administrator" on MO and Bodyslide if you get the "Program needs to be elevated..." message. :)

From the 'third party programs' tab of the MO wiki.

Some executables are added to your list of executables if they are installed at their default location. MO does not search the filing system for them. All of them need to be in the game's base directory (i.e. /). Supported games include Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

Originally BOSS was supposed to be installed inside the data folder. Later that was changed so BOSS got its own directory; therefore, there are two locations MO looks in currently: the BOSS folder inside the game's base directory and the data folder inside the base directory.

It also contains a list of programs which are automatically recognized. Skyproc based programs are not auto recognized. The same is true for "Bodyslide 2 and Outfit Studio" so you have to add them like any other third party program. The install info provided for "Bodyslide 2 and Outfit Studio" will be added to the wiki in the future.

Note: Tannin has stated (can't find the original post back) that he can add other programs to the auto recognized list. He also pointed out that it seems ppl rather like to add it manually then to create an 'enhancement ticket' for it. So if you think its important to have this programs auto recognized (if possible) please add a ticket to the issue tracker.