Wrye and Boss are apparently blind

TheGreyChangeling

Question

Niether BOSS nor Wrye Bash see my installed mods....one of the "solved" threads I came across on here suggested it was a question of where things were installed (or even in the end - "dragged" to) but though I have over the course of this night tried every suggested arrangement, BOSS and Wrye insist there are no mods installed (other than Skyrim and the official DLCs). But there are...how do I point these programs in the right direction? I'm not seeing any means of specifying to BOSS where to look, nor am I seeing similar "pointing" functionality with Wrye...BOSS, in fact, doesn't see Skyrim at all....though it always, always, always sees that I have Morrowind installed...

C:\Games\Morrowind....yes.

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim...apparently no....and definitely not C:\Games\Mod Organizer

EDIT: So...I fixed the whole BOSS not seeing Skyrim problem (I hope, knock on wood)...Steam apparently removed the registry entry when I re-installed today...but BOSS and Wrye still don't see the mods I loaded with the Organizer....so any help with that would be enormously appreciated!

4 answers to this question

On a new install or a verify cache through Steam you always have to run the game configuration utility to configure the game, outside of MO. This sets up the registry value for third party tools and the ini files for MO to copy to a new profile.

Forgive me for the next question, but are you launching the tools from inside of MO or external to MO? It is an easy thing to overlook and trying to troubleshoot something when it is assumed that they are run from inside and they are not being run from inside MO will go nowhere fast. It is better to ask up front to get a starting point to work from.

On a new install or a verify cache through Steam you always have to run the game configuration utility to configure the game, outside of MO. This sets up the registry value for third party tools and the ini files for MO to copy to a new profile.

Forgive me for the next question, but are you launching the tools from inside of MO or external to MO? It is an easy thing to overlook and trying to troubleshoot something when it is assumed that they are run from inside and they are not being run from inside MO will go nowhere fast. It is better to ask up front to get a starting point to work from.

That is good to know, thanks :) The only other Steam game I've played was Limbo and I wasn't modding it, so there is definitely a bit of a learning curve with this as I keep making assumptions based on past ES games that really don't apply here. And no worries on the "...have you tried turning it off and on again/is it plugged in?" question...it is the sensible place to start. And to answer it, yes. Each time I tried installing BOSS in a different location (taking my cues from the other thread I found that seemed to match my issue) I've clicked the icon at the top of the Organizer, highlighted BOSS, changed the path, pressed the modify key and then ok, and then launched BOSS from inside the program. 

Your first line of information, however, seems to have been the key. BOSS and Wrye are now seeing the mods I've ticked in the Organizer. :) I am now officially excited about this utility! A check on recent un/installation and whether the game menu has been started through Steam afterward so that the files can be configured seems like a worthy addition to the "is it plugged in?" repertoire...if memory serves the other thread I was reading on here involved someone having the exact same issue as me after a recent re-installation.

Anyway, thanks again! I'd have stumbled through the solution later and likely never have known how or why it had been solved...and its better to know.

On a new install or a verify cache through Steam you always have to run the game configuration utility to configure the game, outside of MO. This sets up the registry value for third party tools and the ini files for MO to copy to a new profile.Forgive me for the next question, but are you launching the tools from inside of MO or external to MO? It is an easy thing to overlook and trying to troubleshoot something when it is assumed that they are run from inside and they are not being run from inside MO will go nowhere fast. It is better to ask up front to get a starting point to work from.

What is the "game configuration utility"? Wrye Bash isn't loading my mods either.

The configuration utility is just the game launcher when you select play from Steam. It is the window that has Play, Options, Data Files, Tech Support and Exit options on it.

On a new game or when you verify the game cache there aren’t any registry entries for the other programs to use to find the game. When it is run the game for the first time it will tell you that it will now configure your graphic setting or some similar message.