DDSopt & BSA's

TehKaoZ

Question

I was wondering if it would be possible to put the optimized textures into a .bsa and then create an esp file to reference it?

In the the guides sidebar is says something about editing ini's and all that but if I created a plugin would that work?

Any advice would be appreciated ^.^

5 answers to this question

Textures can be loaded by a mod manager into Skyrim. You don't really need a BSA. If you put the textures into BSAs it would take a lot of work, and plugins, to get them loaded in the proper order; mod managers do this quite well. You don't need ini files to load textures.

Optimized textures will overwrite the original textures in Skyrim\Data\textures; Skyrim itself keeps only one set of textures. You can do this manually, but maintenance is a lot of work. Mod managers (Mod Organizer and Wrye Bash) make this much easier since they keep track of any textures and other resources you add, and when you remove or update a mod they update the appropriate resources or remove the resources you added and replace them with the ones that were present before you added the mod.

Thanks for reply Kalmych, I was just generally curious about this since I'm not a modder and thus have never actually tried to package anything into a bsa along with a plugin. The reasoning for my question was because optimizing the vanilla (+relevant DLC's) and putting them into the directory as loose files makes any mods with textures packed into a bsa get overwritten (such as whatever is in USKP's bsa) and thus they would also need to be extracted to be utilized. I had figured if the optimized textures were put into a bsa and a separate plugin was made, you would have an easier time of managing things. Although as you said, it may just end up causing more work in the end yet, it is always good to know things ^.^