DDSopt - optimizing regular mods, types of textures

KermitTheGreen

Question

Hi,

I am currently at step 2.F Conflicting Graphics. Up to this point I was doing fairly well. Game works :) Right now i would like to perform optimization of dowloaded mods, just like here: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls#tab=Optimizing_the_STEP_Mods. 

My question: how do i differ types of textures? I mean there are 5 presets of constraint settings that apply to different textures but i do not know which textures should be optimized with which preset. Example:

Tangent-space normal-maps (files ending in _n.dds). OK I get it - normal maps, preset 4. But what about .nif? Or .dds? Are those Ordinary non-exterior textures, Ordinary Exterior Textures or something completly different? Could someone point me in the right direction or explain to me how it works?

I experimented a little bit and used 4_Mod_Sorting&Pre-optimization batch file for Ruins Clutter Improved. Now i have mod normal maps, mod optimized, mod ordinary textures. And from here i don't know what should i optimize (i assume i should leave mod optimized alone but it's more like "It says optimized so..." - I'd rather have someone confirmed it).

Tl;dr. What preset should i use for .xxx texture. Please include extended version (site says only about _n.dds and _msn.dds - i need intel about .nif, .dds and probably other types as well that gonna come up).

BTW Great Guide, really helpful. Saved me hours of struggle for sure.

Cheers (or something - sorry about my english)

2 answers to this question

I've been working on the DDSopt guide addition for this new batch file, and it will be uploaded soon. However, the short version is:

Extract mods and put each mod folders in Mod Extracted (similar to what was done for the vanilla textures with Vanilla Extracted). You can put as many mods as you want in the Mod Extracted. It is designed to handle multiple mods simultaneously, to reduce the large number of tedious steps otherwise needed to optimize a large set of mods.

Run the batch file; if you want to separate exterior textures and normal maps from other textures (so lower resolution textures can be used for exterior textures) enter Y when asked .

When it completes there are 4 new folders (if you entered N) and 6 new folders (if you entered Y).

This is where you are now.

Now if you haven't already done so follow the instructions in the DDSopt Configuration section here to prepare DDSopt, including downloading the updated version of DDSopt.ini from the guide and putting it in the DDSopt folder.

At this point the steps will be similar to those for optimizing the vanilla textures in the "Optimize the Vanilla Textures" section here.

like steps 1-3 in that section, run DDSopt selecting the Mod Ordinary Textures folder in the upper Window (input) and Mod Optimized (output) in the lower window. Set the constraints tab values based on the example picture you choose to follow: S1, H1, or V1 then hit "Process". The next 4 steps are like steps 4-7 in the "Optimize the Vanilla Textures" section. Choose "Mod Normal Maps" initially, set constraints tab values, run Process then choose "Mod Uncompressed Textures, set constraints tab values, run Process. Since you have Exterior textures folders you will then do the same steps with "Mod Exterior Textures" in the upper window and then "Mod Exterior Normal Maps" in the upper window, changing the constraints tab values as needed.

When you are all finished you now have optimized mod folders in "Mod Optimized". You can continue with optimizing other mods if desired; if you do this you can leave folders in "Mod Optimized" but don't leave mod folders for already optimized mods in any of the other folders.

If you want when all finished you can run the other new batch file 5_Compress_Mods_7z.bat to automatically make 7zip archives of each mod, add _opt to each name, and move the archived mod files to "Mod Optimized Archive". If you run it on an HDD it is takes a long time if there are a lot of mods, but it doesn't need any user input so you can start it up then leave.

By the way, texture files end in .dds. Files ending in .nif are meshes and we have no current way to optimize these.

[Edit] The full version of the Batch File use description is now in the DDSopt guide; it hasn't been added to the Quick Start tab yet. The short description above may still be easier to use for many users; the full description goes into more detail that not everyone will need.