A little stuck with DDSOpt'ing (the settings)

DICEROLL

Question

Now it's the point where I actually have to use DDSopt, I just finished using the .batch files and all succeeded. How do I setup my DDSopt to have 1024x1024 textures and 512x512 normals? It's my first time doing this.

A screenshot of what I have right there, I don't even know what are 'normals' :D but I'm taking this suggestion from this thread by Garfink.

Posted Image

And I have no idea about the settings above with 'lossy' or 'lossless' obviously I want all the textures to look as good as possible. Could someone suggest me anything, I kinda don't dare to continue my own, but I want them to be just as described in that thread "1024x1024 textures and 512x512 normals"

I really feel very silly for creating the thread, is this exactly what I'm looking for?

Standard Quality (S1-S3) provides 1Kx1K maximum resolution color map textures and 512x512 maximum resolution normal map textures.

I did not notice this line in the first place, and I thought the settings that were used in that thread were some other custom settings

However I don't understand the difference here: S1: Standard Quality, Ordinary Textures /// S2: Standard Quality, Compressed Normal Maps /// S3: Standard Quality, Uncompressed Textures

8 answers to this question

Ok I'm having serious trouble figuring out how to process the files inside DDSopt, the wiki just says to press 'process' it says nothing about which folder I have to select through the program. I am so confused! I have no idea what these two 'Browse buttons' do one says ".\out" and other one says ".\in", I gave it a try and it started creating a folder inside another folder like 20 times, and I couldn't process any of the images.

Can someone please help me :(

When you run the 2nd batch file, there are three new folders:

Vanilla Textures

Compressed Normal Maps

Uncompressed Textures

In the "Browser" tab you start by browsing to (using the browse button) and then selecting the "Vanilla Textures" folder in the upper window (the input window). You then browse to and select the "Vanilla Optimized" folder in the lower window. Then select the "Constraints" tab and make that window look like it does in the "S1 Ordinary Textures" picture. Then click "Process". This will optimize the textures in the "Vanilla Textures" folder. When this completes go back to the "Browser tab", click Browse, and select the "Compressed Normal Maps" folder in the upper window. You don't need to change the selection in the lower window, Now go to the "Constraints" tab and make the parameters look like those in the S2 figure. Click Process. When that finishes do this again selecting the "Uncompressed Textures" folder in the "Browser" tab and in the "Constraints" tab make the parameters look like those in figure S3. Click Process.

Thanks, and now magically I found that it's written in Wiki about choosing input and output. I'm terribly sorry, I admit that walls of text are not good for me :D and I am so tired (I took a break for 30 mins). Yeah the wiki is very detailed but at times it gets so hard to follow - I'm not blaming the wiki just myself actually, I hope optimizing RSO and the other mods with DDSopt won't be any more complicated lol.

Ok I think I'm beginning to understand what is going on here.

I have kinda succeeded to complete this all, except that now I discovered this

Vanilla Extracted STD folder: 18,670 Files, 436 Folders

Vanilla Optimized STD folder: 18,580 Files, 428 Folders

All other folders are perfect,

what do I need to do to get the missing files of Optimized STD folder? Basically I have to go through the whole optimization process again? And can this be caused because I accidentally checked a wrong Constraints setting in DDSopt?

Thanks

What constraints setting was incorrectly set (note that some of them won't affect the results with the vanilla texture data)? Check the following:

Vanilla Textures: STD folder should have 18,376 files in 427 folders

Vanilla Normal Maps: STD folder should have 5 files, 11 folders

Vanilla Uncompressed Textures: STD folder should have 189 files, 5 folders

If these 3 are OK you could remove the STD folder from Vanilla Optimized and run DDSopt on just the STD folders in the 3 temporary Vanilla directories with output to a new STD folder in the Vanilla Optimized folder.

Vanilla Textures: 18,575 Files, 428 Folders <- why does it have more than the number you gave me?

Vanilla Normal Maps: 5 Files, 11 Folders

Vanilla Uncompressed Normal Maps: STD folder is missing

*sigh* I'm just gonna start over again and I'm fine with it as I understand the process more now, and thank you so much for helping me out (I would probably of continued my own and had no idea, and then I'd have bugged game)

-----

Edit: One thing I wanted to add, as a newbie I literally named my folders as in STEP guide namely these ones exactly like that:

Dawnguard (optional)

Dragonborn (optional)

Hearthfires (optional)

Maybe inside the Batch file there was no '(optional)' for folder names, I don't know. But I'm gonna try it out now as I removed the optional tags.

Started all over again, from extracting to the .bat files

After I run 2_Pre-optimization.bat from the guide, there are no STD folders generated inside "Vanilla Uncompressed Normal Maps" folder. Inside it there are only 3 folders: HRDLC1, HRDLC2, HRDLC3

Is it really supposed to have the STD folder in it? This makes me very confused

---------------

EDIT: The reason I had no STD folder, was because I pressed the 7zip compress .batch after the optimization.batch >_> I'm so stupid. And I did this like 4 times in row!

Also someone updated the guide by A LOT :D and it's very noob and eye friendly now (in my opinion)! So thanks for everything, I'm very confident I will 100% succeed now and I will post back into this thread 1 more time.

Finally, I have succeeded with everything here, sometimes I'm a whiny and slow learner.. but I'm glad I went through this and understand the process, and hopefully I can now ddsopt everything else my own.

And big Thank You Kelmych :D you helped me A LOT! All my issues on this regard have been solved and everything functions properly now!