DDSopt - snowelfruins\seruinsmarble01_n.tga and placeholder.txt

theothersteve7

Question

I'm following the DDSopt instructions on the wiki and thus far have two problems.

Firstly, during the extraction process it intermittently errors out copying "placeholder.txt."  I assume these are the extraneous text files mentioned later in the document?  DDSopt pauses the process whenever it runs into one.  Is there an option to skip them?

Secondly and more importantly, I get an error when I run 1_HRDLC_Clean-START.bat that it can't find snowelfruins\seruinsmarble01_n.tga.  Indeed, the file does not exist, and only has a .dds version.  I've found a couple posts about this texture but nothing the explicitly describes what to do about it; I believe DDSopt was using the tga file as it was a higher quality. I checked and snowelfruins\seruinsmarble01_n.dds is being put in the appropriate spot, so I think it's okay.

Please let me know if ignoring these problems is the correct thing to do.  I'm a reasonably competent software developer, but I'm unfamiliar with these particular scripts and apps.  Thanks!

Edit: As Step 2 went off without a hitch and reported no missing resources, I'm fairly certain my assumptions were correct. I recommend that someone with the authority to do so to update the wiki (or ddsopt itself) to reflect the two errors I've mentioned. If there is anything I'm missing, please let me know. Thanks again.

1 answer to this question

There have not been any previously reported problems with DDSopt pausing when extracting placeholder text files. It did not do this when I extracted the HRDLC BSAs.

The files \textures\dlc01\architecture\snowelfruins\seruinsmarble01_n.tga and \textures\dlc01\architecture\snowelfruins\seruinsmarble01_n.dds are both in HRDLC2 and both should be deleted. The file ending in dds happens to be corrupted. The tga file can be used to fix the corruption, but it isn't needed since the Unofficial High Res Patch fixes the problem.

The error was caused by a missing " in the batch file. I uploaded a new version which includes it.