How do you speed up loading screens?

Moragg

Question

With SKyrim Revisited my loading screens for big things (e.g. Skyrim, a city) take a very long time (30 secs).

So during loading screens I looked at my meters and couldn't find any bottleneck - CPU load never reached over 50% (on any of the 6 cores) - GPU was at 20%, SSD never went over over 50MB/s. RAM is 1333MHz ECC on 4x2GB sticks but that shouldn't be a problem.

Any ideas? Or is it just Skyrim?

7 answers to this question

Earlier post was asking a question that the OP already provided an answer to.  Maybe I should learn to read! 

That being said, something is amiss.  I didn't have anywhere near that kind of loading time on my last generation rig.  Maybe you should see what happens when you've got other RAM in there?  How about other games, do they also have reduced RAM load?

Sadly no other RAM available atm, but RAM speeds are so far above SSD that I don't see how it could really be a problem.

I'm beginning to think the mobo could be an issue - just yesterday I had loads of memory error BSODs, and on changing my RAM it went away instantly. On the old one load times were similar. But testing on a separate system (8 passes of memtest) showed no issues.

I should add: the 50MB/s figure I gave was the total of TESV.exe and enbhost.exe - on entering new places I need to load about 2-2.5GB across the two, so giving 40sec to 50sec loading screens. Interiors are faster as there is less to load.

I don't have any other high-memory applications since I deleted them to make space for Skyrim (50Gb on a 120GB SSD :D ) But I get the expected very quick SSD load times on windows startup.

Edit: if someone with an SSD could tell me how fast their RAM loads I'd be grateful. Open Task Manager, then Skyrim, then while loading a save see how fast enbhost.exe and TESV.exe memory increases.

Technically it can be due to 4x2Gb .. since those are "slower" then 2x4Gb unless you got a fancy server mobo that allows quad channel.

However the reading speed sounds kinda low... but have never performed any tests of that type.

On the other side then 30 sec for a full SR install and if you use 2k textures does not sound entirely unrealistic either.

Without some other blocks of memory to test with I guess it would be difficult to verify anything.

I've never heard of that before - but that sounds very much like it could be the problem.

I originally has 2x4GB 1600Mhz - after finishing installation of SR I had a spate of BSODs so I switched to the only other free RAM - 2x4GB 1333Mhz. I'll try and get some more RAM to test. Thanks!