BCF conversion

youtoo

Question

I read the wiki part about BCF conversion. I understand how to do it. My question is why is it necessary? The mods seem to load if we dont do a bcf conversion? Should we convert all mods to bcfs if they are not a bcf already?

concerning unpacking. All this is doing is unzipping the file and moving the directory structure around so there are not as many sub-directories and rezipping right or did I mis read this? BAIN expects no more than 2 levels of directories if I am reading this correctly.

12 answers to this question

...you know that there is an easy to learn, very powerful, and very easy to use mod manager known as Mod Organizer? Why don't you use that instead?

...if you really want to stick with Bash (it's a good mod manager, don't get me wrong, but it's learning curve is as steep as Niagra Falls), here's BCF conversion 101: BCFs are meant as portable ways to convert non-Bash compatible archives into one that are compatible with Bash (BCF itself stands for BAIN Conversion File, BAIN itself being an acronym for Bash Installer). They are not needed for archives that are already compatible with Bash. Compatible archives are those with just an ESP file and maybe a few directories (Simple), or those with multiple options, each option having either a directory, a ESP/ESM, or both (Complex). Quite a few mods are compatible with Bash - the few that don't can be made compatible using BCFs. (For instance, all my mods are set up with complex Bash ordering in mind - including BAIN wizards)

Oh, and yes, you read the part about unpacking right.

I thought I need Wrye Bash to handle conflicts and do merges if necessary? I thought the recommended way was to add the Wrye Bash executable to Mod Organizer and use them together?

I have been using wrye bash to do STEP because I want to learn 1 first and get a feel for it then go into Mod Organizer. Can you check out my skyrim revisited thread in this forum. having trouble with the wrye bash ini editing. I think it may be a bug in the new 304 version. I am going to try the 303 version tonight. I cant see how Im editing the file wrong. To get MO and Bash to work together I really need to be able to have Bash read a different directory than the mod installers in the default skyrim install.

thanks. ihave mod organizer. i get a '!' it says i will have a problem if i dont install the NCC. however, on nexus, it says the NCC only works with the 11.5 version and I am on 12.9? should i install it.

btw, getting the bash 303 version seemed to work. i was able to get it to pick up my ini file changes to look in another directory. I think 304 is buggy.

ok so i got the v99 version. I have skyrim with all the DLC. When I click on the plugins tab, I see that my DLC is not checked. I check the esm's. but when I click on archive, I see .bsa files ( read something about these on the wiki, but I dont understand it) have an ! and it says 'they will still be loaded, but out of order.

I dont get it. am i supposed to check the box in the plugins tab?

i have some mods that i installed automatically and I click there checkbox. SHouldnt they show up in the plugins tab or in the data tab? I thought that is what happens when the mods are installed?

So I have the first 3 mods listed in the left pain. I only see Appropriately attired jarls showing up in the plugins tab? I have the check box for each checked? 

the MO guide on the wiki is pretty brief.

now when im trying to install Elys F4, it says the mod is not set up correctly and wont work. The wiki says

"If it has a red "No game data on top level" at bottom left then you need to expand the file structure and then right-click and choose "set data directory" on what should be the skyrim/data directory. This is the directory above what contains the ESP files and texture, meshes, sound, interface directories. If there are files outside what will become the data directory then drag and drop those files into what will be the data directory before setting it as the data directory"

There are no ESP files. Do I move everything to the data directory and then right click set data directory on that one directory?

on startup of v99 i also get this popup error. does it matter?

notice the '\' go both ways. Not sure where to edit this. The file is present in the plugins directory

i dont see a line for plugins in modorganize.ini file.

failed init plugin E:\modorganizer/plugins/pyCfg.py

import error no modulke named

pyQT4

I had to redownload Elys F4. Looks like a bad download.

The error in v99 I keep getting. Im not sure how much it matters. The tool still runs. I did see another thread to use 12.9 instead of v99. but someone here said to us v99. ill see what happens.

found this video on mod organizer very helpful. can you guys add this to the beginning of the MO Wiki page?