Missing Textures

Dalrint

Question

So I am pretty new to STEP, I used the latest guide and went through and installed all the 'necessary' addons and a bunch of the optional ones, most of them really, using the highest texture packs available. My computer is pretty much a beast, 18gb of ram, nvidia geforce gtx 670, i5-3570 @ 3.40 GHz. It runs skyrim with no trouble. I am using Wyre Bash to install my mods, and I followed the order on the website. The only extra mod I added was one of the body mods.

So I am not getting lag or skipping or anything, but certain textures are missing and I can't figure out why? So far I have only found two, a specific type of tree up where the game starts, and anywhere I shoot fire. I am sure the fire one has to be related to a texture-altering spell effect mod, and yet I can't seem to figure out what mod it is?

The missing trees can be seen here: https://i44.tinypic.com/2vhu7vl.jpg and https://i44.tinypic.com/1zsz8m.jpg and the missing spell impact textures can be seen here: https://i42.tinypic.com/azgtxe.jpg .

The spell textures only seem to be specific to objects or the ground. Things like plants and such aren't affected? I'll admit I am a bit frustrated at this point, so if someone can point me in the right direction to clear this up I'd be very relieved.

9 answers to this question

Not sure about the fire effect, but for tree textures make sure you follow detailed instructions on Skyrim Flora Overhaul and tTrees HD STEP mod pages, as the guide instructs.

Also note that there is a specific sticky thread in Support and Troubleshooting forums to report missing textures.

I'm not sure what went wrong with your trees, but are you using the Two Fire ESP option for Deadly Spell Impacts that lets you have different impact decals depending on spell type? If you are, it's best to do a manual copy paste install for that since it involves renaming some files. I had an issue like that when I first installed DSI.

I thought I HAD followed the installation instructions pretty closely, but I shall give this another whirl. And duel spell impact is what I was using yes, though I don't recall selecting that option, I will have to poke around.

Thanks, guys!

I am wondering if I should just uninstall everything and go back through the whole installation process again. Hmm.

I fixed it! Well, sort of. I found the two tree textures I was missing and added them back in where they needed to be (I had deleted the two 'vert' trees in the hdtrees mod, I think I had thought they were related to a compatibility patch at the time?) and then I just unstinalled deadly spell impacts completely.

I mean, it sort of sucks not using it but for now at least I can play, and everything else seems to be working. :D

@Wormheart: :D

Another question, though! Assuming I decide not to use the fancy double fire part, could I just replace some of my impact textures with the textures from deadly impact and would they simply 'work'?

@Wormheart: :D

Another question, though! Assuming I decide not to use the fancy double fire part, could I just replace some of my impact textures with the textures from deadly impact and would they simply 'work'?

Not sure I get what you're asking here, but if you mean that you just want to use DSI impact textures as replacers for vanilla impact textures, then yes, it should work, as long as they're in the right folder to replace the vanilla decals, and IIRC I read somewhere around here that if you're using DSI in this way, you could also omit using DeadlySpellImpacts.esp (though I think that if you don't use the ESP shock spells leave no impacts, since vanilla Skyrim doesn't have specific shock spell impact decals). So in short you COULD replace your impact textures with the ones from DSI, but you'd only see the one type out of the DSI impacts you have installed, meaning that if you have a choice between the crater impact decal and the spread decal from DSI, and you put in the spread decal into the main folder DSI (and Skyrim) recognises and draws on, that's the only one that's going to show up in game.

The reason there's a second ESP for DSI is to make sure that the secondary/alternate textures get used, you see? So the fancy double fire part DOES work, as long as you stick to manually installing and renaming the files as per isoku's instructions. Be warned however that it might be a lot for your system to swallow-- mine ended up peculiarly prone to CTDs so I had to stop using that feature. Would that my system were less borderline graphics-wise. *sigh*