Beginner at STEP, stuck at XP32 Skeleton

jacktannery

Question

With a brand new PC I am reinstalling Skyrim and using STEP with Wrye Bash (first time - very terrifying!). I have managed to get all the way to step 2D but have run into a problem.

I am trying to install XPS Maximum Skeleton (https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26800/?). STEP has detailed instructions (https://wiki.step-project.com/Maximum_Skeleton#Recommendations). 

I manually download this mod and place it into my skyrim mods/bash installer directory like all the other mods. However, this mod apparently has a bain wizard? (I don't even know what that is) Wrye Bash recognises the mod but it is white, so I click it and see it has lots of optional sub-packages. No-problem, because this happened before with 'Skyrim Project Optimisation - No Homes' and I just ticked all the boxes randomly and it seemed to work. However, in this case I suspect I am missing something because I cannot follow the detailed step instructions. To be specific: STEP refers to the mod's installer (as does the mod) but how do I run the mod's installer without using Nexus Mod Manager? Double clicking does nothing as there is no .exe file with this mod and there is no readme or installation instructions. 

I have read the entire Step Wiki twice and can't find what I have missed. What am I doing wrong? Hopefully I am not being totally stupid.

EDIT: also now I am starting to be concerned that I have incorrectly configured the other mods that had sub-package files - I just ticked all the boxes - is that bad?

EDIT2: actually I have the same issue with 'even better quest objectives. Actually this gives me a clue to the problem - on the latter mod download page the instructions say: 'It's as simple as downloading and using Wrye Bash, Mod Organizer, or NMM to install, and following the installer'. My question is: (for Wrye Bash) what installer? How do I trigger this automatic installer?

15 answers to this question

Wrye Bash colors the boxes according to the "compatibility" of the package to itself.

Grey = Incomprehensible data, cannot be used by Wrye Bash.

Red = No structure, just data.

White = BAIN Compatible (Data sorted in folders, each with it's own function)

White w/ tiny wizard's rod = BAIN Compatible WITH Wizard (An install ''setup''. Right-click -> Wizard to open it)

For grey ones, you need to resort the .7z / .rar file to have the data (textures, meshes, souns, etc..) on the root of the file.

For red ones, there is no boxes, just the data. Nothing to do.

The white ones, you should look for instructions on which box to select, as a folder can be an add-on or an alternate version of another folder.

The white ones with the rod (:P) just right-click and select WIZARD, to start de guidance setup imbued in the file :D

Fantastic Freyrgjurd! Thank you so much for this wonderful tip - that is extremely helpful to know. Now I have moved onto 2E, but I already have an additional question. For Categorized Favorites Menu the STEP guides says that two BCF files are available. But I cannot find out what a BCF file is from the guide nor from google. Am I supposed to use one of the BCF files instead of the normal download from the nexus page?

EDIT: I found it! Hidden away in the Wrye Bash Guide it says what I have to do with the BCF file. Steep learning curve this!

Well, a BCF is your friend in Wrye Bash.

It turns grey/red boxes into white ones :) (Generally without the wizard)

It is a "conversion file" that you combine with the original one (red) to turn it into a BAIN compatible one (White).

The correct way is to download the file and put it at the Installers path of WB (Bash Installers) and download the BCF for that specific file and put it in the Bain Converters folder, inside the Bash Installers folder.

After that, go to WB, on the installers tab, and right click the file you downloaded (original one), then Conversions -> Apply -> name of the bcf (file inside Bain Converters).

If "apply" is greyed out, you don't have the right "converter file" (BCF). If everything is alright, he'll show the name of the BCF you downloaded. Just click it and he will create a new one, that is BAIN Compatible (white).

In your case, CFM have two BCFs, one is for the 0.1.17 version and the other is for the 0.1.18 version. Use with the respective version of the mod you downloaded.

EDIT: Additional information added. Minor spellcheck.

Thanks again Freya. I tried to follow this but I had trouble:

1 - I downloaded Categorized Favorites Menu Version 1.18 and placed it into my Bash Installers folder (am I supposed to rename the mod at this stage?)

2 - I downloaded the 1.18 BCF File and placed it into the Bain Converters folder.

3 - In Wrye Bash on the installers tab I right-clicked on the mod conversion>selected BCF>apply and it created a brand new mod with a slightly different name BUT an error box popped up to say: 'AttributeError: 'InstallerConverter' object has no attribute 'hasBCF'.

I am having a slightly different problem with the high-quality 3D map BCF (also in Step 2E). In this case, there are three files to download from the nexus page (although the STEP guide only lists two confusingly) and I placed all three in the Bain folder. I then downloaded the BCF file and I only converted the file of the same name (also the only white one) - presumably that's ok - but then I had exactly the same error as above.

Also, am I then supposed to delete the previous version of the file, or do I leave both converted and unconverted files in the folder and install both?

--

I realise I sound like a total moron, but I have actually installed this mod very successfully with NMM in the past (and found the entire process very easy) however this time I am trying to do it right - its much harder!

I would recommend switching to Mod Organizer. It's similar to NMM and easier to use than WB. It has integration with NMM download button on Nexus, profile managament, so you can use different mod set up without messing with installing and uninstalling mods. MO uses virtual Data folder, and keeps your Skyrim Data folder clean (the mods are installed in external location, each mod in separate folder).

The BCF error is normal. Delete the BCF and the original file from the Bash Installers and the Bain Converters. Keep a backup.

As for HQ3DMaps, you don't need to use the BCF.

You should only use BCFs with mods that need "personalization" or that are completely broken (grey or full of dull sub-folders).

Btw, you could keep up and learn Wrye Bash, but as root said, Mod Organizer is easier and has more functions / ease of use.

Your call ;)

EDIT: Never say never. One day you'll get back and be happy, like I did. ^^

Don't get me wrong, WB is a great mod manager and it's way more advanced than MO, but it comes with a cost - you need to spend significant amount of time leaning it :)

I use MO for mod management and WB for conflict detection and Bashed Patch creation.

WB is good, but MO is by far more superior.......Neovalen has an amazing guide Skyrim Revisited.....Its just like STEP but has alot more depth and a efw extra mods.......it take a while to install (a good day)

But his steps to setting up Mod Organizer and skyrim are the best around......https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited

It is rather complicated. Wrye Bash is intended for advanced users, that need advanced settings.

I tried to use it for at least 4 times before I had it. heh

Go with root's recommendation, and now mine. Try out MO, it's more friendly and will suit your needs!

Just to let you know - I took your advice and have just completed installing Skyrim Revisited with Mod Organiser. It is MUCH easier to follow and understand than Wrye Bash for me - so thanks everyone who gave me this advice. Obviously the game crashed to desktop during the intro as I carted into Helgen, but I have no doubt I will eventually find out what I did wrong... So thanks again and this is indeed solved.