Baseline - Memory Usage?

flyingspatula

Question

6 answers to this question

Re-posting since it appears to be a completely unrelated issue to memory itself. I pretty much tested with a completely unmodified Skyrim set to Very Low settings and I get hiccups every second. I can't really tell if its a stutter or some kind of rendering issue but everything does seem to take a minor skip every step. It is rather unnoticeable at first, but when it happens every step or two, you start to realize something is wrong. It is as if it skips a single frame every second and is in a perfect interval. I honestly can not really tell if it happens in other games, Skyrim just seems to be the most noticeable. It also happens when looking around, it is most noticeable when I turn my sensitivity way down and slowly rotate my view and I will see the screen hitch every second as I move. (not screen tearing). I believe this is something called microstuttering? I am only running a single 560ti.

Does it look as if your "camera" gets stuck while you're walking, then suddenly re-adjusts itself and snaps to your current position after a few steps? Not like a true stutter where your character stops walking, rather you keep walking and your "camera" just snaps to his new position?

If that's what it is, then I've had a similar problem ever since patch 1.7 or 1.8, and the only way I've found to fix it so far is by running Skyrim in a window (you can use SBW to remove the borders so it "looks" like it's fullscreen) and turning down AA.

Thanks for the reply! I think that might be what is going on, or very similar. I actually just tried window mode after you suggested it, but it actually got much worse unfortunately. Instead of *camera snapping* every interval, it sort of jerks violently like its shaking every perfect interval now. Really... Bethesda games always have the most retarded problems.

Here is a video I recorded first regular speed. It is hard to notice on video but it is much more noticeable in game. I slowed it down after and you can see it stutters in perfect intervals slightly. It is a very small stutter, but it happens repeatedly forever. In this video, I set everything in Skyrim to lowest possible settings for everything. I am using a 120hz mointor and have Vsync enabled with limited fps to 60.

I probably should have ran on Ultra during the video because it is much more noticeable.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DysMCusoeE

Yep, that looks almost exactly like the problem I've been having. Another thing you can try is changing the Max Frames Rendered Ahead value in your video card's control panel to anywhere between 0 and 2. I have the Radeon equivalent (Flip Queue Size) set to 1 and it's actually helped, along with running in a window and turning off MSAA to remove my stutters completely.

I ran some FRAPS frame render tests to verify if it is caused by micro stuttering but I don't think that is the issue. I logged approximately 3 seconds of the game moving forward along the same road watching as I snapped back every second. I tested both with and without an fps limiter as well as in windowed mode. All still had the same stuttering.

I ran my first test without a limiter. I was averaging about 100fps in 120hz. Graph fluctuation COULD be due to 5fps fluctuation.

Posted Image

Second test here is with an fps limit of 60 in 120hz. My average fps was 60, with min/max of 60. As you can see, the graph is near perfect. However, the screen was still stuttering in game.

Posted Image

I ran a third test in windowed mode, but did not upload the graph as it was identical to the second graph. I really don't understand what could be causing all this since it can't be micro-stuttering or video card struggling to render frames. If this is a software issue (Skyrim), I cant understand how most people are fine but some (like me) are not. The exact feeling of the stutter is similar to what the above poster stated except it feels as if you are being jerked forward a step every second. That alone made me assume it was because a frame was rendering too slow which would make sense, but any test I have done says otherwise. I really am lost here. *Render Frames Ahead* had no change as well unfortunately.

Thanks