Freezing In External Cells

Goatroth

Question

Hello all. This "little" problem has been plaguing me for a while now, and it's got me tearing my hair out in frustration. I've installed only the core mods from STEP, including of course all the 1024 versions where possible, and I have constant stuttering in outdoor areas, and sometimes even a CTD or complete freeze (gotta alt+tab and close process). I've monitored GPU-Z and the Skyrim Performance Monitor during these times, and have found that my VRAM is maxed, and Skyrim is never taking up more than 2GB of RAM.

I'm using all the core mods (and only core mods) from STEP 2.2.3, RLO, and an ENB. Here are my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 925 @ 2.8GHz

XFX Radeon HD 4850 1GB GDDR3 VRAM, 695MHz core, 993MHz memory

4GB DDR2-800 RAM

7200RPM SATA HDD

And I play at 1440x900, no AA (except EdgeAA from ENB), 8xAF, high settings from the launcher.

If anyone has any insight into what's going on and how I can fix it, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Bit of an update: I disabled the Skyrim Flora Overhaul to see if that was causing it (the mod author says that 1.5GB of VRAM is required, I only have 1GB), and the gameplay was a lot smoother. After playing for a good 30 minutes, I was having no stutter while running around Whiterun on horseback, which never happens.

However, I alt+tabbed the game to check what time it was, and when I went back to it, it froze a mere 10 seconds later.

I'm using SBW to make the game run in a borderless window, maybe that has something to do with it, somehow? Although, I've used it before without a problem, it was just recently that it started freezing like this, just after adding all the STEP mods, ENB, and RLO.

Well, I played for a bit longer today than I have in a while, because the game mercifully decided not to crash or freeze on me. Then... well, it crashed. But, I had the SPM open at the time, and saw that the RAM usage spiked from 2GB to 2.3GB just as the crash occurred.

Sigh... it seems completely random at this point, and it seems like I might just have to disable all the high res texture mods just so I can play the darn game. Such a shame.