custom trees billboards not loading in SkyrimVR

glarthirs_body

Question

Hello,

I have a very specific / unique issue that may not find an answer on these forums, so don’t waste too much energy if this problem looks too foreign to you and / or outside of the scope of dyndolod.

I am having an issue with custom LOD billboards not working at all in skyrimvr (SSE), in other words they are missing entirely when you load up the game. However, these same billboards work in oldrim, so I believe the problem is related to custom billboards and SSE.

To preface this, I am a mod author currently in work on a new lands mod with custom trees. These trees have 3D LOD for near LOD, and billboards for far LOD. With me having followed various guides, I was able to successfully install the near (3D) and far (billboard) LOD into oldrim. Ingame for oldrim, everything looks great and works as intended.

I have a VR headset, and I periodically convert my oldrim mod to skyrim special edition to use in skyrimvr.  To try to make the conversion process efficient for mod testing purposes, I do not run DYNDOLOD again specifically for SSE, instead I copy the oldrim DYNDOLOD output files and manually install them in my skyrimvr data directory (I assume this would be much more efficient than installing DYNDOLOD once for oldrim, and then again for skyrimvr). This method of installation is convenient and works great, EXCEPT that in VR, my custom trees billboards do not load at all. The custom 3D LOD near models load finein VR, and the original billboards for vanilla skyrim trees work fine in VR in this worldspace as well… so the problem may just be specifically regarding billboards and custom trees.

If one goes into the DYNDOLOD created BTR files for far LOD (e.g. level 8), and plops one of these into nifskope, you would see that the custom tree billboards are right there in the file, so for some reason, they are just not loaded in the vr version of the game. I wonder if there may be some “flag†not enabling them, which I am missing by bypassing installing DYNDOLOD conventionally for skyrimvr.

2 answers to this question

As the manual explains, billboards are textures and text files and work the same in all game versions. 

If you can see the billboards represented in the BTO the game has no other choice than to show them. If they do not show it might be because the BTO are the old format or because they are actually not the ones loaded by the game. In the end you need to generate the LOD properly with DynDOLOD -tes5vr for the game version anyways, so do that.

Thanks Sheson, this solves my issue. I did not know that the BTO files have their own format for VR, but it is definitely the case as I can see several things are different in the oldrim BTO files and the SkyrimVR BTO files. 

Anyways this is just as efficient of a way of generating LOD for VR so I can't complain. Cheers!

Edited by glarthirs_body