Strange black ground/landscape textures when lit by npc torch.

miles1080

Question

Hello,

First of all thank you to the community here and Sheson for this amazing tool, I can't imagine Skyrim without it. Also super appreciative for the VR beta of DynDOLOD

I am having an issue where Torches carried by NPCs sometimes (very often) reflect only certain objects (such as stones in roads) on ground/terrain, but do not light up the entire terrain around it. Often there is a hard line separating the lit ground(mostly rocks in the dirt roads) and the rest of the terrain which is all black.

Steps I took to create my current LOD setup:

1. use xLODGEN to generate terrain mesh/lod data. Activated output

2. Use Texgen and activated output.

3. Use DynDOLOD and activated output.

3. Use xLODGEN to generate occlusion.esp and activated at end of LO.

https://imgbb.com/h8JBgb4 <-- here is a screenshot of basically what I am seeing (not my screenshot, but virtually the same issue). I spent some time searching and the forum where I found that image had their issue solved by disabling some of the LODGEN textures in their load order. So to that end I disabled the xLODGEN output in my load order and the issue was resolved, however when looking forward I would see the vanilla yellow landscapes until I got close enough for my landscape to load in. I know there must be a way to be able to light this landscape with torches and still have my current installed terrain textures show in the mid/long distance. I am not sure if I should be disabling some of the LOD textures in my load order (although I don't think any cover the terrain, just for things like Majest mountains, whiterun, etc). I don't quite know what to do anymore.

Some info:

SkyrimVR

I have tried swapping from Relighting Skyrim (bulbs) to RLO thinking a bulb count per tex/mesh was the issue, however the issue was still present.

Torches I carry cast the correct light on the ground, but not when the light is coming from a torch carried by a guard NPCs.

Ryzen 9 5900x / rtx 3090 / 64gb RAM

I have changed load order a bit since generating the xLODGEN (still the same) but nothing that affected terrain/world data. I have made new texgen/dyndolod output each new LO just to be safe. I am doing a new xLODGEN now, and will follow with tex/dyn but I do not think it will make a difference. 

Load order stuff that relates to LOD:

dyndoLOD resources SE --> xLODGen Output --> Majestic Mountains DynDOLOD -> Whiterun LOD -> raven rock LOD -> tel mithryn LOD -> rorikstead LOD -> texgen output -> dyndolod output ->          occlusion.esp 

Thanks in advance just for reading this beast :D

2 answers to this question

xLODGen/DynDOLOD are LOD generators and do not change how the engine works.

Disable all LOD with tll in console. If the problem still exists it has nothing to do with LOD.

If only random parts of terrain LOD textures turn black, then VRAM is probably exhausted.

Thank you for the response. Didn't know about that tll command, the problem did still persist so I can cross off any of the LOD stuff. I was mostly thinking it was LOD related because it seemed to go away after disabling the xLODGen output, however I tried to replicate it again and this time the issue persisted after disabling that output. I don't think it's an engine issue, as I've seen it happen in the woods where the torch was the only light for some distance. I think it probably is something to do with the torch object / lighting mod / my specific terrain, as it works perfectly on object meshes.

Anyway, as it does not pertain to anything LOD related I'll take my issue to reddit and see if I can get some help. Thanks again for the troubleshooting and all the work you do on the tool.