Can't get billboard static object trees to work

Kilkle

Question

Hello everyone!

I previously had problems with TES5LODGen (bugged mountain lods), so I decided to switch to DynDOLOD. Now I'm trying to emulate TES5LODGen "generate trees as objects" option with DynDOLOD. I used TreeLOD=0 to do that, but the result is quite bad https://i.imgur.com/ZqynhHR.jpg. Compare this to TES5LODGen results https://i.imgur.com/arHaHp5.jpg. Both are at default settings with LOD brightness set to 0. TES5LODGen trees blend in very well, they recieve lighting during daytime and are very dark during nighttime, as they should.

As you can see, the tree LODs do not get any direct light on them in DynDOLOD. I tried to set different values of FlatLODLightingEffect with maximum of 10.0, no difference. Brightness parameter during LOD generation is set to zero, otherwise it could produce strange results with my ENB setting under several conditions. I can't find any information on how to rebuild the same nice trees from TES5LODGen within DynDOLOD or on how to fix the goddamn mountain LOD bug with TES5LODGen (as seen on the second screenshot).

Any help will be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Are those the vanilla billboards from the TES5LODgen download?

Which billboard setting was used for the tree mesh rule?

Unless you can show there is a problem with xLODGen and distant mountains with the vanilla game, then there really isn't a bug.

Edited by sheson

Are those the vanilla billboards from the TES5LODgen download?

Which billboard setting was used for the tree mesh rule?

Unless you can show there is a problem with xLODGen and distant mountains with the vanilla game, then there really isn't a bug.

Hello again, I'm CageTheElephant from NexusMods. I posted a comment on TES5LODGen page and you replied to me an hour ago. With your advice I just solved issue with TES5LODGen mountain bug (simply used the latest xLODGen).

I used vanilla billboards from TES5LODGen page, tree mesh rule was "billboard" for all LOD options and grid was "Far LOD" (tried with "Near LOD" but it made no difference, I don't know what's that option about), and VWD Only is on.

When I swap back to TES5LODGen changing nothing in my setup, trees are fine again. And now the mountain bug is gone, I can finally enjoy bug-free lod generation and beautiful trees.

If you want to use the vanilla billboards with ultra tree LOD, copy xLODGen\Edit Scripts\LODGen_flat_lod.nif  to the DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\LODGen_flat_lod.nif.

Edit DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_TES5.ini in notepad and set Billboard6=LODGen_flat_lod.nif

Then set the tree mesh rule to Billboard6 for all LOD levels. Then generate LOD as usual.

Then you can have the tree LOD you like and the drastically improved object LODs.

59721-1607263289-717444863.jpeg

The Near/Far LOD settings are for dynamic LOD. They are explained in the section "DynDOLOD Mod" in DynDOLOD_Manual.html.