Bored at work? Post here.

Neovalen

not at all benches tho, only some and the 7990 beats them all again.

and amd for a better price most of the time, but nvidia is getting back lately.

hope amd can get something out of their trick back again to get everything going again.

AMD has no reason to discount their products now, but the bundled games are a nice incentive. There are still reasons to go with Nvidia cards (CUDA for some uses), but in general benches equivalent AMD's cards come out on top and cost less money.

See Radeon 7970 with the 1GHz BIOS update and Catalyst 12.11 or later, more VRAM on standard cards and lower price point. Not to mention you get a bunch of new games when buying an AMD card.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_Performance/23.html

https://www.anandtech.com/show/6393/amds-holiday-plans-cat1211-new-bundle

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_catalyst_12_11_driver_performance.html

https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/57413-amd-12-11-never-settle-driver-performance.html

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/46905-amd-catalyst-1211-benchmarked-surprising-performance-gains/

https://www.legitreviews.com/article/2059/1/

I still don't understand your point, AMD's cards are faster on average, overclock better and their architecture is more efficient, despite significantly lower budget for marketing and product development. Just because they're not as popular, doesn't mean they're not superior in many ways.

My point is simple, and popularity doesn't enter into it - AMD is no longer in a position to force a real race and compel Nvidia to release its best technology quickly and at the best prices.  Yes, AMD can release cards that outperform Nvidia's within one generation, but it is Nvidia that decides what that generation looks like, and what the price points will be. Nvidia is sitting quite leisurely on technology (the 680, for example, is a gimped version of what that architecture could do) and the moment it suits them strategically, they will release the next wave.  This wasn't always quite so comfortable.

For a consumer buying a card at a certain point during a generation, an AMD may well be the best choice. But, it would be far better for that consumer if this were truly a two horse race, as once it was, forcing both players to release their best technology more quickly and at more competitive prices.

I still don't understand your point' date=' AMD's cards are faster on average' date=' overclock better and their architecture is more efficient, despite significantly lower budget for marketing and product development. Just because they're not as popular, doesn't mean they're not superior in many ways.[/quote'']

My point is simple, and popularity doesn't enter into it - AMD is no longer in a position to force a real race and compel Nvidia to release its best technology quickly and at the best prices.  Yes, AMD can release cards that outperform Nvidia's within one generation, but it is Nvidia that decides what that generation looks like, and what the price points will be. Nvidia is sitting quite leisurely on technology (the 680, for example, is a gimped version of what that architecture could do) and the moment it suits them strategically, they will release the next wave.  This wasn't always quite so comfortable.

For a consumer buying a card at a certain point during a generation, an AMD may well be the best choice. But, it would be far better for that consumer if this were truly a two horse race, as once it was, forcing both players to release their best technology more quickly and at more competitive prices.

I think you're forgetting Fermi. It's swings and roundabouts.

Whilst Titan is cooking to be a very powerful card, it won't be a mainstream product and its launch price will put almost everyone off. The big money is in the mainstream market and that's where the real competition starts.

I don't know if you're aware of the latest developments, but both Nvidia and AMD are delaying their products for this oversaturated market. Perhaps the main reason is the rumoured launch of new consoles later this year. Or maybe they just realised it isn't as profitable to offer a whole new bunch of graphics cards in a less than a year long cycle.

EDIT: actually, I've thought about it a little and I agree with you for the most part. I'm reluctant to go back to AMD/ATI, even though my previous 3 cards were from the Red team, because of the inconsistent drivers support. But they have made huge improvements in the past few months and everyone I know with an AMD card seems happy, so I might give it another try in the next few months. Almost got my hands on a slightly used 7970 3GB for £215, but I made the wrong decision at the time, thinking that the new graphics cards are just around the corner.

hmz, wondering if I can get a 670 4gb then, I do need a waterblock then for it also

Edit: Ouch the cheapest 4GB version here is €400,- ... a bit too much pff

I got my 6950 2GB for only €200,-

I suggest Asus GTX660 TOP edition. I got this for Xmas and it's excellent, never failed me, including STEP'd Skyrim (not the Extreme edition, but close).

EDIT: Just saw your EDIT. Yes, driver support is a big factor in my personal choice too. I stay in Linux unless I'm forced to venture out, and the Nvidia situation is much the better nowadays. I'm hoping, Gabe Newell willing, that Linux will be a viable gaming platform before too many more moons!

EDIT: Just saw your EDIT. Yes' date=' driver support is a big factor in my personal choice too. I stay in Linux unless I'm forced to venture out, and the Nvidia situation is much the better nowadays. I'm hoping, Gabe Newell willing, that Linux will be a viable gaming platform before too many more moons![/quote']

One of the main reasons why I switched back to Windows on my laptop was absolutely appalling "legacy support" for my Radeon HD 3200. The open source drivers got my laptop heated to the point of burning my fingers and official drivers couldn't even cope with playing back Youtube flash videos in fullscreen mode.

Well, if AMD sort out their drivers (and I suspect they very well might, with the Steam developments) or you defect to Nvidia, I have to say the latest desktop distros are excellent. I'm using Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop and a nice professional theme, and it's a pleasure to use. Makes me happy to switch on the PC, if you know what I mean.

Well' date=' if AMD sort out their drivers (and I suspect they very well might, with the Steam developments) or you defect to Nvidia, I have to say the latest desktop distros are excellent. I'm using Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop and a nice professional theme, and it's a pleasure to use. Makes me happy to switch on the PC, if you know what I mean.[/quote']

I don't like Linux Mint all that much, personally, I'm more of a Xubuntu fan. I'm actually going to reinstall it soon, see if the situation has been resolved. Cinammon is too bloated for me to bother with.

Not really in a need of getting a new laptop ATM, so no plans on "defecting" to Nvidia. I have a GTX 580 on my desktop, though. :)

I ran Arch on my desktop for a while, but I can't be bothered to configure it again.