[q] small snowy rock/dirt/ice texture - [SOLVED]

haelfix

Question

I have been going through texture packs for the past hour or so and its driving me nuts, b/c there is one texture that I can't seem to find.

Scattered throughout Skyrim are these small rock like textures.  For instance in Bleak fall barrows, right before the steps they appear and make a sharp contrast with the snow.  

At night, they appear blue, and its incredibly distracting.

I'm pretty sure these are not related directly to snow textures, as I have uninstalled most of my snow packs and they remain.

Anyone have any suggestions about what it is, (and if you know, which textures do you use)

8 answers to this question

I have been going through texture packs for the past hour or so and its driving me nuts, b/c there is one texture that I can't seem to find.

Scattered throughout Skyrim are these small rock like textures.  For instance in Bleak fall barrows, right before the steps they appear and make a sharp contrast with the snow.  

At night, they appear blue, and its incredibly distracting.

I'm pretty sure these are not related directly to snow textures, as I have uninstalled most of my snow packs and they remain.

Anyone have any suggestions about what it is, (and if you know, which textures do you use)

A screenshot would be most helpful. :D FRAPS can take screenshots if you're not using ENB. My only suggestion on that info would be to check your ice textures. I know the "That's Ice" mod has a blue ice texture that looks horrible. Use the white option if you're using That's Ice.

Its not textures per se its shaders. And they appear like that when using certain lighting/weather mods/enbs etc. Better Dynamic Snow sometimes helps, other times they make it worse depending on what other modifications you use.

Yea, so I have isolated it.  Straight forward STEP install via the guide, all the way to 3.10 climates of Tamriel + dawnguard where I pick a vanilla nights package (unlike STEP recommendation).   That's the culprit, and it only shows up afaics at night during certain weather systems at eg bleak fall barrows.

I have dynamic snow installed, and it still shows up.  I'm not quite sure how to proceed in getting rid of it.  ENB or no ENB (project ENB for COT), its still there.

Its not textures per se its shaders. And they appear like that when using certain lighting/weather mods/enbs etc. Better Dynamic Snow sometimes helps, other times they make it worse depending on what other modifications you use.

Yea, so I have isolated it.  Straight forward STEP install via the guide, all the way to 3.10 climates of Tamriel + dawnguard where I pick a vanilla nights package (unlike STEP recommendation).   That's the culprit, and it only shows up afaics at night during certain weather systems at eg bleak fall barrows.

I have dynamic snow installed, and it still shows up.  I'm not quite sure how to proceed in getting rid of it.  ENB or no ENB (project ENB for COT), its still there.

So disabling the CoT - VanillaNights.esp file fixes the issue?

EDIT: If so, make sure you load order is correct. Use BOSS for this. Also, look at the BOSS Log to find any mods that require cleaning and do so. If you could still have a screenshot of it, that would be great.

Negative, i've tried all 4 variants as well as simply not selecting any.  The only way the problem goes away is if I disable COT entirely.

For reference, the picture at the bottom of the following link is what it looks like (only even more visible at night).  It's some sort of illumination problem on that particular rock.  

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/686605-project-reality-climates-of-tamriel/page__st__1930

Negative, i've tried all 4 variants as well as simply not selecting any.  The only way the problem goes away is if I disable COT entirely.

For reference, the picture at the bottom of the following link is what it looks like (only even more visible at night).  It's some sort of illumination problem on that particular rock.  

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/686605-project-reality-climates-of-tamriel/page__st__1930

K57Rw.jpg

As I stated before, these look like ice textures to me. Please try reinstalling your ice textures and if you're using That's Ice, be sure to use the White option.

Yea those are the correct textures, and in fact they look great in almost every circumstance and by inspection (high res etc), except when there is some sort of very bright night sky (like an aurora or when the galaxies are out).  I've even tried installing the blue and black variants to see if that fixes it.

With a vanilla STEP install, do you not get the same problem?  I'm genuinely curious.  The only other thing I could think off, is that its some sort of ini or graphic card setting that i've bungled somewhere.

In fact, with COT present and absolutely no other MOD I can replicate the same pattern.

Yea those are the correct textures, and in fact they look great in almost every circumstance and by inspection (high res etc), except when there is some sort of very bright night sky (like an aurora or when the galaxies are out).  I've even tried installing the blue and black variants to see if that fixes it.

With a vanilla STEP install, do you not get the same problem?  I'm genuinely curious.  The only other thing I could think off, is that its some sort of ini or graphic card setting that i've bungled somewhere.

In fact, with COT present and absolutely no other MOD I can replicate the same pattern.

I don't have a strictly vanilla STEP install currently; however, when I did I never noticed that issue. I don't use CoT as I find RCRN to be a much better product for my liking. It sounds like you've narrowed it down to a CoT issue. I'd contact that author and see if he can look into it.

Currently, I'm running STEP install with RCRN rather than CoT using SkyRealism ENB with Cinematic preset. I have no issues.

EDIT: For reference sake, here are a couple shots at night with full moon showing no issue.

Posted ImagePosted Image