CTD on Save Bug

maedrhos

Question

I've recently encountered the "CTD on Save bug". I've determined that it isn't being caused by string count or memory block excesses, but I can't determine what is causing it. My install is SRLE plus hunterborn, moonpath and a bunch of follower mods. It works fine off a new install (not a single crash for about 20 hours) until I get this bug. There isn't a lot of information on the web or step about what causes it but that using the player.kill fix (https://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2994022) does work. My questions are two fold....what could be causing it? (or at least what should I be looking for since I've ruled out more obvious things) and why does the player.kill method work? (What is it doing to the game to allow one to continue playing as if the problem never existed?)

2 answers to this question

I recently had one of these and had the devil's own time trying to fix it.

In my game it seemed to have something to do with iNeed and CACO being out of sync with each other. I finally got a fix by opening a save without iNeed, making a new save, quitting, then restarting with iNeed activated.

Ab-so-lutely no claims that this will work for you (assuming you even have those mods in!) - but it did the trick for me!

I recently had one of these and had the devil's own time trying to fix it.

Thanks for taking time to comment.

iNeed and CACO are both part of SRLE and I have no doubt that the compatibility patch and Neo's CR take care of all conflict. I've assumed that it would be a conflict introduced by something not part of the SRLE build (ie Hunterborn not working with CACO or Rigmor for example) and have paired back the mods to find the culprit but since the problem doesn't show itself until 20 hours into a play-through it has been very difficult so far to identify. I've always ignored the forum talk about this problem (knowing that even the unwise can have strongly held opinions) and put no credibility into the player.kill fix until I simply hit a frustration wall...now I'm really curious why this works because I don't want to mess up my game in other ways. Unlike most technical problems in STEP where you post them on the forum and someone pops up to help this problem seems to mystify everyone based on the lack of comment.

I'm now eight hours beyond the player.kill fix and everything is working fine even though I don't understand why.