DynDOLOD CTDs

George79

Question

Hello people.

So I've been running around Skyrim for a while now - crash free 99% of the time which is awesome - and I stumbled to some specific-point CTDs.

First encounter was on the road from Morthal towards Dawnstar before you reach the village of Stonehills. The game CTDs no matter what I do right at that specific point on the main road.

Second encounter was on leaving Dragonbridge from the NW exit heading towards Solitude. Just before you reach the first fork on the left that leads to the temple of Meridia, bam CTD.

I tried running a new game, TGMed to these places and it CTDs no matter what I do, which ever direction I approach. After tampering around with the mods, I realized that DynDOLOD is the culprit. Thinking that the HIGH preset was too much for my PC, I recreated it (as per the instructions) to MEDIUM detail. No change. When I disabled it completely, the CTDs at these locations were magically gone!! However that left the game without any decent LODs and things in the background look a bit -icky.

Can someone help me on this one? What part of DynDOLOD can cause specific place CTDs???

6 answers to this question

OK, Sheson is a genius. I don't know how hard it was for him to read through my log files and scripts but he narrowed the problem down and right on the spot.

Apparently, I had misread the guide's Stunning Statues installation and renamed the specified files, BUT I didn't see that they were put in a different folder in order for NSUTR to read!!! So the DynDOLOD scripts were looking for them and couldn't find them. Both locations had such a statue near them and hence the CTD!!! I re-installed Stunning Statues and properly set the file structure up and voila! Both CTDs were gone!

Damn my eyes! :O_o:

Perhaps a bad LOD mesh? I would definitely poke Sheson for help on specific point ctds.... assuming you checked your mem usage.

How can I contact Sheson?

I managed to make a workaround: By disabling the DynDOLOD.esp altogether but at the same time keeping the created Textures and Worlds active in the MO load order, the problem seems to be fixed and at the same time keeping the LODs pretty decent.

What could the .esp be useful for I've no idea...

Actually running the scripts that makes DynDOLOD actually work...lol. :)

There is a DynDOLOD support thread here on STEP that Sheson reads. I'd start there.

Thank you both, I posted a question in his thread. If I get an answer I will post it here also for future reference.