|Changes to the live guide can occur at any time between releases, so review this changelog to see what may have changed since your 1.0.0 build date.|
Step Guides are taking a new direction. Please read the article to understand how future Guides will be handled and released.
A New Prerequisite
A new Guide as been created that is meant for users to follow prior to any of our Gaming Guides. This new guide is the System Setup Guide. Users should visit there and complete it before completing any Gaming Guide by Step.
We've updated the formatting of our changelogs to improve readability, group like-changes together, and include more information about changes made. We hope these updates will help to improve workflow by section for users updating!
Improved Guide Workflow
Many steps were taken to improve the our guide workflow. As a result, the flow of the Gaming Guides have been completely rebuilt. A great deal of consideration was taken of the workflow from the user's perspective. Thus, the Gaming Guides have been restructured for a start to finish experience; whereas, previous versions of Step Modding Guides had users jumping back and forth too often.
New Mod Groups
STEP Skyrim SE and the other new guides to follow have new "Mod Groups" based on standardized categories that minimize conflict resolution while maximizing differentiation. Compared to previous guides, this restructure greatly improves mod list organization while also reducing the need to hide individual mod assets, thus, improving workflow and reducing user error from missed steps.
Users no longer have to leave the Guide page to view detailed mod instructions! We have rebuilt our mod tables to incorporate expandable rows for any mods with detailed instruction. This update drastically improves workflow and makes it far easier for users to install our Guides.
As part of the flow change and a desire to reduce information that should be centralized, we've pulled several of the setup steps out of the Guides, and moved them to the new System Setup Guide. Users are required to complete this new guide before completing any Gaming Guide. The remainder of the detailed instructions within Guides are now hidden by spoilers. This cleans up content and helps users to focus on one thing at a time. To reveal the instructions, users simply need to click the spoiler to expand it.
To reduce user steps and simplify our Guides, the LOOT Rules from previous Step Modding Guides have been removed. Our CR Patches are now entirely designed around a LOOT-sorted plugin order. Now users simply need to accept a default LOOT plugin order and our patches take care of the rest.
Wrye Bash has also been removed from the our Guides. Our CR Patches now serve this content in place of the Bashed Patches. Along with it, all Compilation files have taken an arrow to the knee! While it may save time by not having to download and install the mods the Compilations held, it also hinders customization, mod endorsements, and adds to maintenance overhead to the Guides. Therefore, Step will no longer provide compilation files/packs with our Guides. As such, any mods from the Compilations have been re-added to the Guides.
It has been ages since the sound-based mods were revaluated. This has finally been completed with this release! Also, a complete comparison of the textures included in the Guides have been completed. With the readdition of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul to the LE and SE Guides, this was desperately needed! Several mods have been dropped as a result of these revaluations.
The new Guides now include MCM recommendations. This is something the users have asked for since MCM existed and the wait is over!
Step SkyrimSE Patches
In a desire and need to reduce maintenance overhead, the Step Patches available have been reduce from 8 to 2. Mods required for the Step Patches are indicated in green at the beginning of the mod listing in the mod groups. The Patches provided include:
Step SkyrimSE - Conflict Resolution Patch
This is the conflict resolution patch for the main Guide and is now all or nothing; whereas, before we were providing multiple patches for various mods users didn't want to install. This Patch includes the following additional edits beyond patching:
- Hand built leveled lists.
- Increases arrow speed to ~1.5x that of vanilla.
- Increases the chances of recovering arrows from dead NPCs to 50%; vanilla is 33%.
- Increases the time that passes during fast travel. It will be similar to the take it takes to walk the distance; time is accurate within 2-3 min deviation.
- Reduces the distance NPCs will greet the player to 60; vanilla is 160. This prevents the constant NPC greeting while walking around cities.
- Reduces the distance requires for NPCs to detect crimes to 2000; vanilla is 4000. This provides for more realistic gameplay as guards won't catch you as often from seemingly out of nowhere.
- Reduces the maximum chance that NPCs can dodge projectiles to 66%, vanilla is 100%. This reduces the uncanny dodging abilities of hostile targets.
- Reduces the game's timescale to 15; vanilla is 20. This results in longer day/night cycles.
- Several bug fixes are also included from various mods with open permissions.
Step SkyrimSE - Lighting & Weather Patch
This is the conflict resolution patch specifically for the new Lighting & Weather mod group. It's provided separately for users who wish to use different lighting and/or weather mods than what STEP has chosen for the Guide.
Most of the patch information can now be found on their forum topic.
The below changes are listed for the Beta Guide users. These changes have happened between v0.3.0b and v1.0.0. All other users can consider this to be the initial public release of the SE Guide.
- Updated MCM sections for any mod updates.
- Updated optional BethINI settings for the latest version of BethINI.
- General refinement of text formatting and instructions throughout the Guide.
Mod List Changes
- Added | new mod added to the Guide this release.
- Incorporated | mod was incorporated into one of the Guide patches. Users should remove these mods.
- Moved | mod was moved to a new Mod Group.
- Updated | mod instructions were updated.
- Dropped / Replaced | mod was removed from Guide. Users should remove these mods.
- SKSE64 | Modified to include instructions for manual configuration of the loader in MO2, just in case MO2 doesn't pre-configure correctly for some reason.
Audiovisual - Animations & Effects
Audiovisual - Models & Textures
- Dropped / Replaced
- The following mods were replaced by their SSE equivalents:
- SkyrimSE:Bellyaches Animal and Creature Pack SSE | Updated to remove installation of mubcrabs with the addition of Superior Mudcrab.
- SkyrimSE:Enhanced Vanilla Trees SE | Updated for latest version of the mod.
- SkyrimSE:Inferno - Fire Effects Redux | Changed the flame color, again, to Yellow. This is the best match for the lighting and the most vanilla-like option.
- SkyrimSE:Realistic Water Two | Updated for latest version of the mod.
- SkyrimSE:Vivid Landscapes - Tundra Moss Revised | Added installation instructions.
Audiovisual - Sounds & Music
- SkyrimSE:Audio Overhaul for Skyrim SE | Updated for latest version of the mod.
- Immersive Spectral Assassin | Updated for newer version of the mod.
- Dropped / Replaced
- Skyrim Landscape and Water Fixes | Updated for latest version of the mod.
Gameplay - General
Gameplay - AI & Combat
- Dropped / Replaced
- Auto Hide Ammo | Replaced by Unequip Quiver SE.
Gameplay - Economy & Item Balance
Gameplay - Immersion & Role-playing
Gameplay - Quests & Stories
Gameplay - Skills & Perks
- MoreHUD Inventory Edition | Updated for latest version of the mod.
Audiovisual - Lighting & Weather
- Dropped / Replaced
- Better Dynamic Majestic Mountains | Obsolete with BDSv3.
- Step SkyrimSE - CR Patch | Updated to support latest version of mods and various mod list changes. Also incorporated the following:
- STEP L&W Patch | Updated to support latest version of mods and various mod list changes.
- Useless Patches Collection | Updated instructions to remove Better Dynamic Snow SE and ELE patches.
Any changes made to the live Guide before another release is committed. These changes will be moved to the upper section during the next release to ensure they are not missed.
Post Guide Changes
Post Mod List Changes
- Kryptopyrs Patch Hub | Changed instructions to download individual patches.