Magic sounds fire and lightning not working

Kate_the_Bionic_Uterus

Question

Hi, I installed the extended step from a to z. I haven't added anything else. The game overall is working great and I really appreciate the set up. However, when I try and shoot the Flame spell or Spark spell I don't hear anything but the Frost spell works fine. If I shoot flame and spark at a wall I hear an effect of it burning the wall but I don't hear the flame or spark coming from my hands. Frost works perfectly but I may be having a problem with restoration heal spell as well... not sure about it, I do remember hearing the spell make a sound for as long as the spell was working but I can't be sure about that. Regardless the flame and spark spells have no sound. All the other sounds seem to be working... any ideas?

Edit: I am using headphones.

Oh ya I am missing a texture too

8g32kpFh.png

Edited by Kate_the_Bionic_Uterus

6 answers to this question

These sounds should come from Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2. In Mod Organizer, click the Data tab in the right pane and find these two files:

Sound\fx\mag\flames\mag_flames_fire_lpm.wav
Sound\fx\mag\shock\mag_shock_concentration_fire_lpm.wav

This is basically what you should hear when you use the flames and shock spells.

It looks like a sword or scabbard on your character's back is missing the texture? The picture is small and my eyes are really old, so it's hard to tell. If so, this is most likely coming from either the High Resolution Texture Pack, one of the aMidianBorn mods, Leanwolf's Better Shaped Weapons, or Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux . In the case of the High Resolution Texture Pack, make sure you've check "Have MO manage archives" (in the Archives tab in the right pane) and that all of the BSAs are checked.

These sounds should come from Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2. In Mod Organizer, click the Data tab in the right pane and find these two files:

Sound\fx\mag\flames\mag_flames_fire_lpm.wav
Sound\fx\mag\shock\mag_shock_concentration_fire_lpm.wav

This is basically what you should hear when you use the flames and shock spells.

It looks like a sword or scabbard on your character's back is missing the texture? The picture is small and my eyes are really old, so it's hard to tell. If so, this is most likely coming from either the High Resolution Texture Pack, one of the aMidianBorn mods, Leanwolf's Better Shaped Weapons, or Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux . In the case of the High Resolution Texture Pack, make sure you've check "Have MO manage archives" (in the Archives tab in the right pane) and that all of the BSAs are checked.

Hi greg :)

Yes I found those 2 wave files... now what.? They sound great... I wish I heard them in game. ^^

Try this pic;

EDIT: Try looking at the pic by clicking this link

abOQbwB.png

And yes, all the BSAs are check and being managed by MO... I guess I am just trying to figure out which mod that is coming from so I can try reinstalling it...

Cheers ;)

Update: I have tried starting a new game and nothing. I have tried reinstalling the mod and still no sound. I started a new default profile game and the sound is working! So... It means one of two things, something is wrong with my STEP installation or the mod itself. Before I proceed with an entire new STEP instalation next week (sigh) I would like to find another easier solution or other advice advice. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not saying this is the issue, but a while back we had this mod causing problems for one user that couldn't get the audio to play no matter what we did to try and fix it. You might want to read through that topic to see if anything there seems familiar.

What a roller coaster of a thread to read on a Sunday morning after walking the dogs :sick:  I have a lot of experience with codecs as I helped solve the diaspering radio sounds in the Fallout 3 game. But that was like 3 years ago at the official forums. This seems way different because the ice spells works fine but the fire and lightning spells are silent.

Here's what I got from the thread: It is either 1 of 3 thrings or a combination of them; AOS archive issue, MO issue or a system issue.

The solution in the thread seemed to be,  "manually install the mod"

Here is my question for you Grant; If I remove AOS and the patches will that corrupt my game? Specifically, will the STEP extended mod and installation work without AOS?

Here is my thinking; if a manual install fixes this then that is an easy solution to try. I have to wonder if Wrye Bash users have experienced this... I will go check that forum section for anything audio related...

Hey Grant, what do you think about this; what if I try installing the mod and patches through Wrye Bash? That may be worth a try eh? :dance:

Thanks for the help Grant :coffee:

As much as I admire Wrye Bash as a tool, in my opinion introducing it into the mix may just add another level of confusion.

If you feel comfortable installing this mod manually then that would be my preferred option. If you do install it manually and it then works you will have provided a valuable level of debug material for @keithinhanoi (who is no longer in Hanoi) to use in fixing this issue, even though it affects so few users.

As to your question about its removal and the effect on patches and your saves. Sadly I don't know. I currently don't have a working STEP installation and I'm not in a position to quickly generate one. Someone else though will surely have the answer at hand.